How secure is a partition?

DennisD

• Moderators

I've wondered for a while if it's possible for malware of any type to migrate, use a disguise, dig a tunnel, whatever, and infect files on a partition.

Assuming of course that it's on the OS drive, and isn't manually transferred across by an unknowing user.

It's perfectly possible (although not extremely common) for malware to install, modify or delete files on another partition, even without digging a tunnel...

I've run malware on the E:\ partition of my test box and saw it install all files on C:\ instead.... only due to sloppy programming, of course, but still...

• Moderators

If has the programming in it it's possible for such a said malware to delete for example all MP3's on another hdd partition, and even removable drives plugged into the system. Vice-versa a virulent on a USB device infecting an hdd.

• Moderators

My recovery partition has "RecGuard" covering it. Is this a malware protection, or protection against a careless user, and is there software available to secure a partition in the event of something getting onto the OS drive. Besides the normal Firewall/AntiVirus.

Thanks for the input so far.

• Moderators
Is this a malware protection, or protection against a careless user, and is there software available to secure a partition

I would think even a protected/locked partition could have it's "security" thwarted by some crafty malware writer.

Some of the stuff they show former computer vandals doing on the news is scary. Like them parking their car on a street near a company, and then wirelessly breaking into the companies computer(s).

Link

18.) Do not partition the hard drive. Windows XP's NTFS file system runs more efficiently on one large partition. The data is no safer on a separate partition, and a reformat is never necessary to reinstall an operating system. The same excuses people offer for using partitions apply to using a folder instead. For example, instead of putting all your data on the D: drive, put it in a folder called "D drive." You'll achieve the same organizational benefits that a separate partition offers, but without the degradation in system performance. Also, your free space won't be limited by the size of the partition; instead, it will be limited by the size of the entire hard drive. This means you won't need to resize any partitions, ever. That task can be time-consuming and also can result in lost data

:D

18.) Do not partition the hard drive. Windows XP's NTFS file system runs more efficiently on one large partition. The data is no safer on a separate partition, and a reformat is never necessary to reinstall an operating system.
That is total BS :blink:

I have had to reformat my operating system a couple of times because I messed up something and trying F8 Boot to Last Known Good still would not work.

If I had my 80GB hard drive as one partition then I would loose ALL of my backups of my emails and applications that I like that I store in a Downloads Folder on the 40GB second partition.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I've wondered for a while if it's possible for malware of any type to migrate, use a disguise, dig a tunnel, whatever, and infect files on a partition.

Assuming of course that it's on the OS drive, and isn't manually transferred across by an unknowing user.

Got my backup partition copied to an external usb drive. Unplugged most times. No tunnelling. :P Same for putting it on a DVD, but mine won't fit. Wouldn't work, maybe, for a partition you use a lot.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
That is total BS :blink:

I have had to reformat my operating system a couple of times because I messed up something and trying F8 Boot to Last Known Good still would not work.

If I had my 80GB hard drive as one partition then I would loose ALL of my backups of my emails and applications that I like that I store in a Downloads Folder on the 40GB second partition.

I agree! I've been down that road back in the Win98 days when everything was on drive C: and everything was lost on two or three separate occasions.

Partitioning a single hard disk to create a drive D: (and even a drive E:) is very smart because even if formatting drive C: and reinstalling Windows all the files will remain intact on a secondary partition.

• Moderators
For example, instead of putting all your data on the D: drive, put it in a folder called "D drive." You'll achieve the same organizational benefits that a separate partition offers, but without the degradation in system performance. Also, your free space won't be limited by the size of the partition; instead, it will be limited by the size of the entire hard drive. This means you won't need to resize any partitions, ever. That task can be time-consuming and also can result in lost data.

Great idea. Don't want to lose any data, so next time I need to call on the services of my Recovery Partition, I'll ask it to just ignore my 27gb D: drive "folder", as it's formatting and reinstalling the OS.

That would work. ;)

Separate drive yes, but separate partition no. Partitioning doesn't speed up computer for a single bit if partitions are made at a single drive. I also disagree with installing games at another partition, as when reinstalling windows the registry entries installed by some games disappear and that may cause the need of complete reinstall of the game.