Wipes out files starting with "~"

Mike Brewer

I like CCleaner but find that it wipes out any file starting with "~". I understand the reason for this, since I guess the "~" is an indicator that the file is a temporary one, but I have many files of my own that start with "~" that I don't want deleted (luckily I discovered this in time, and could easily restore these from an incremental backup).

So, which option is it that allows/disallows these files to be deleted? I'd like CCleaner to remove temporary files, but want to avoid deletion of those beginning with "~".

I note that I can also specifiy folders to exclude from processing, but I'm not sure whether that is recursive... i.e. can I specify a top-level folder and all subfolders below will be excluded too?

Thanks,

Mike

• Moderators
So, which option is it that allows/disallows these files to be deleted? I'd like CCleaner to remove temporary files, but want to avoid deletion of those beginning with "~".

CCleaner in particular will only clean specific files and registry data. You could create a winapp2.ini cleaning routine to recursively scan folders for those files. However CCleaner isn't going to know the ones to delete from the those to keep.

• Moderators
I note that I can also specifiy folders to exclude from processing, but I'm not sure whether that is recursive... i.e. can I specify a top-level folder and all subfolders below will be excluded too?

I would think so, as the opposite applies - i.e. a folder specified for emptying deletes all subfolders.

It's easy enough to test.

Rgds.

CCleaner in particular will only clean specific files and registry data. You could create a winapp2.ini cleaning routine to recursively scan folders for those files. However CCleaner isn't going to know the ones to delete from the those to keep.

So it wasn't CCleaner removing these files? I did try out a couple of other "cleaner" applications a couple of weeks ago before settling on CCleaner, but I thought the files only vanished more recently, as a result of running CCleaner with all options ticked. I haven't set any folders in the options, either to exclude or to include.

Cheers,

Mike

I did try out a couple of other "cleaner" applications a couple of weeks ago before settling on CCleaner

That sounds more likely, alot of other cleaners will clean out all manner of files like, eg deleting ALL files with certain extensions etc. CCleaner won't do that, one of the reasons it's safer than some others.