Doesn't seem to like a lot of files

Guest_Jim_*

On my laptop I've got a partition that has a total of 33 GB of data on it, spread across 861904 files, and Defraggler doesn't like to analyze or defrag it. It will analyze up to about 70% before it stops changing the percent and when I've tried to have it defrag the drive it crashes the system (BSOD). This doesn't happen on my desktop, which has XP on it (the laptop has Vista) but it also has less than 10GB, so fewer files but roughly the same size.

Any suggestions on how to fix that now, or will this be fixed in the future?

Almost forgot, the other partition on my laptop has the same amount of data on it, but fewer files, and it doesn't have any problems with Defraggler.

Yes I do have the latest version. I remember after I downloaded and installed it thinking that it may not have the problem like the previous version. I think I'll run a disk check for that partition because the computer did crash while Defraggler was running.

I ran a disk check and I don't think it said there were any errors, so I figure, why not see if Defraggler runs any better now. It managed to analyze the entire partition (it did slow down once it got up to about 70% and took awhile to process). Don't know what the problem was but it appears to be alright now.

Is there any way, however, to speed up Defraggler?

We are always working on ways to make the defrag faster :) Glad your issue seems to be fixed, we may integrate chkdsk into Defraggler at a later date.

:)

MrRon

This would seem to be a different issue, but I don't feel like starting a new thread. I have run, but not finished (due to a lack of time) a complete drive defrag on the afore mentioned partition. I have noticed that after having done so (possibly during and I didn't notice) that I have lost room on the drive to a file in the System Volume Information folder. The first time I only onticed losing about 200 MB, which could have been because of just using the program that use that partition, but I just lost over 2 GB, which couldn't have been from that program, because I haven't run it recently or enough to accumulate that much. The only thing I can think of is that Defraggler is causing a large temp file to be made in that folder and when I have to abort early, the file isn't wiped.

I'm currently running a defrag of the other partition on my laptop and noticing that as it runs I'm loosing disk space, most likely to the creation of a temp file by Defraggler. I understand that Defraggler would be doing, but the fact that aborting doesn't wipe the file is a little annoying. As a side note, is it possible that the creation of this file could be slowing down the process? I know that on my calculator when I wrote a program that would end up creating a list with several hundred numbers in it, it took a very long time to finish. When I had only amend the master list every ten percent the program ran much faster, because it didn't have to be continuly opening a large file, editing it, and then closing it. Perhaps by having the large file, that can and does surpass several gigs for me (it appears to have stopped growing at 7GB), cleared more often the defragging would go faster, because such a large file would have to be worked with so much.

• 4 weeks later...
I ran a disk check and I don't think it said there were any errors, so I figure, why not see if Defraggler runs any better now. It managed to analyze the entire partition (it did slow down once it got up to about 70% and took awhile to process). Don't know what the problem was but it appears to be alright now.

Is there any way, however, to speed up Defraggler?

Though it does sound like file system errors were the culprit, hey?

Not sure. It is possible but I'm pretty sure the disk check didn't find any errors. Since the disk check Defraggler hasn't gone faster it just goes to completion it is hard to tell. My bet is that it really doesn't like having over 800,000 files, that average probably around 150 Kb, to work with. There wasn't a problem with accessing the files before the disk check, so it could have been or fluke or the fix.

Just had an odd idea, would it be possible to exclude certain folders from the analyzing? That could speed it up on my case, by excluding the majority of the some 800,000 files (if they are fragmented there are usually 2 fragments and I don't notice any increase in speed).

Also, any ideas as to what I can do, or what will be done, to keep the several gigabyte temp files from remaining in existence after the scan is done? Just a Defraggler temporary folder, so the file isn't seen as a system file, would help I'd think, because then I could manually delete it or use CCleaner to get it.

• 1 month later...

I finally got rid of the massive file by coping the contents of the partition to my external hard drive and reformatting the partition. I'm curious if anyone has any idea how the file was made, and if the newest version will still make it. I'm not willing to test it myself because of how hard and long it takes to get rid of the file.

Hello,

I am on a XP Home-SP2 system 80 GB HD, the first time I ran Defraggler (3.2 GB of fragmented files), the program self aborted, the second time I ran it, the program froze, so I aborted. After reading your post, I checked the System Volume Information folder and it is empty, I also checked to see if there were any new Temp folders or files that could of been made by Defraggler, I could not find any. Did the temp file have a specific name? I wonder if your problem is just Vista related?

By the way, after I did a system cleaning with CCleaner, EasyClean and a reboot , I ran Defraggler a 3rd time in debug mode (1.3 GB of fragmented files), the program took about 30 mins. to defrag files and 1 hour to defrag free space. The program looks to have done a excellent job this time, but it got me wondering, how long it would take to do a badly fragmented HD, to long I think, with the CPU Usage close to a 100% while the program is working.

Have a good one,

Wink

The file had an odd name, just a series of letters and numbers inside of brackets. I do think that the temp file issue might only exist on Vista because I haven't seen it happen on my XP machine. I was wondering if such a temp file might be made in the new version because they said they removed the system driver. I'm not sure, but it would seem to me that if removing that speeds up the process maybe it also removes some things, such as the temp file. I can't give you an answer about how long it will take to defrag a badly fragmented hard drive. I can tell you that it takes a lot more than an hour on my desktop with a 160GB drive to defrag the freespace (I'm not sure how long though, because I have to stop it to do other things).

• 2 weeks later...
The file had an odd name, just a series of letters and numbers inside of brackets. I do think that the temp file issue might only exist on Vista because I haven't seen it happen on my XP machine. I was wondering if such a temp file might be made in the new version because they said they removed the system driver. I'm not sure, but it would seem to me that if removing that speeds up the process maybe it also removes some things, such as the temp file. I can't give you an answer about how long it will take to defrag a badly fragmented hard drive. I can tell you that it takes a lot more than an hour on my desktop with a 160GB drive to defrag the freespace (I'm not sure how long though, because I have to stop it to do other things).

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got rid of the massive file by coping the contents of the partition to my external hard drive and reformatting the partition. I'm curious if anyone has any idea how the file was made, and if the newest version will still make it. I'm not willing to test it myself because of how hard and long it takes to get rid of the file.

Jim: the System Volume Information folder is used by System Restore to

put "restore points" in - see the following links...

http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_volume_...ion_folder1.htm

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/1...n-xp-and-vista/

You can reduce the size of this folder by reducing the amount of

space allocated for system restore points on that drive (or turning it off).

Look at My Computer/Properties/System Restore, then select the drive

and click on Settings.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend turning off System Restore on your boot drive !!!

- thm

The D drive was the one with the 4GB and I don't have it set to make system restore points. There's only one program installed on it and the rest is primarily just images so I never see any point to having system restores for it (beside I need all the room I can get on that partition for the cached files there). That does seem right though, I've got eight restore points on my C partition currently and there are nine of those files, but one of them is different from the rest, much shorter name.