Removing Unused File Extensions

asdf

sorry if this has been answered before but, is it really safe to remove unused file extensions? I can't see these documented anywhere.

It looks safe but I haven't found any mention of it FAQ or forums, so I'm a bit uneasy. I've got about 1000 of them listed!! :blink:

TIA B)

Name disabled.

• Moderators

It's completely safe.

WinXP: If you open a folder that contains a file, or file's with an extension that isn't registered to open with any program it automatically get's stored in the registry.

Apparently in XP, if a file simply exists, it will automatically get its extension added into the classes root. heh.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I have deleted unused file extensions many times and its always worked great. So I think it is very safe.

And as gunner mentioned, you can always do a backup of the registry first if you wish or have doubts.

Andavari and DjLizard, hehe that is silly.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I have deleted unused file extensions many times and its always worked great. So I think it is very safe.

And as gunner mentioned, you can always do a backup of the registry first if you wish or have doubts.

Andavari and DjLizard, hehe that is silly.

Not silly, it's fact. DjLizard is definitely the best expert on computers and technology I've ever known.

New>Text File>file.crap

Highlight the file, look at its properties, blah blah. Diddle around for about 60 seconds, then run CCleaner's issues scan... blam. Unused file extension: .crap

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Dont get me wrong, I dont doubt what DjLizard said, I mererly meant that it was silly of Windows to behave in that specific way.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png