Should I have all these programs running?

Brenda2007

When I open the taskbar there is so much stuff in there and most of them I don't know what they are. Do these look right to you for a year old computer with XP home edition?

post-16097-1192414891_thumb.jpg

post-16097-1192414891_thumb.jpg

Brenda

Mom of 4: Chris 17, Mikayla 11, JJ 6, and Elias 23 months

LOVES Piriform Forums more than her husband

• Moderators

You can input those .exe file names into a search site called ProcessLibrary.com. If it has info about the file it will tell you if it's necessary to have running or not. See a screenshot of a scan I did. Note: Ignore the Run a Free Scan on that site, it's an affiliated advertisement.

Of course you can disable some startup programs with Windows' MSCONFIG which allows you to very easily undo disabling a startup program versus just outright deleting it's startup:

Start->Run->Type in: MSCONFIG

In Windows XP Pro services can be disabled using (just make sure you don't disable stuff you aren't sure of):

Start->Run->Type in: services.msc

When I open the taskbar there is so much stuff in there and most of them I don't know what they are. Do these look right to you for a year old computer with XP home edition?

I have 18 to 20 processes running depending on the machine.

The first thing I noticed was the insane amount of CPU Maxthon is using. Maxthon uses no where near that on my Machines. Usually Maxthon is at 0 CPU for me.

I have 18 to 20 processes running depending on the machine.

The first thing I noticed was the insane amount of CPU Maxthon is using. Maxthon uses no where near that on my Machines. Usually Maxthon is at 0 CPU for me.

Oh really? Do you think doing what the previous poster did will help or is there someway you can not have it use so much CPU that you know of?

Brenda

Great program!! But how do I (technically challenged) know what is necessary or not. It doesn't really tell me. It says "safe" "unknown" and a description of the program.

You can input those .exe file names into a search site called ProcessLibrary.com. If it has info about the file it will tell you if it's necessary to have running or not. See a screenshot of a scan I did. Note: Ignore the Run a Free Scan on that site, it's an affiliated advertisement.

Of course you can disable some startup programs with Windows' MSCONFIG which allows you to very easily undo disabling a startup program versus just outright deleting it's startup:

Start->Run->Type in: MSCONFIG

In Windows XP Pro services can be disabled using (just make sure you don't disable stuff you aren't sure of):

Start->Run->Type in: services.msc

Brenda

I did what you said but when I reboot, it tells me I have to put the computer on normal startup. Not letting me boot up without the programs I don't need (that's using MSCONFIG) haven't tried the other way yet.

Brenda

• Moderators
I did what you said but when I reboot, it tells me I have to put the computer on normal startup. Not letting me boot up without the programs I don't need (that's using MSCONFIG) haven't tried the other way yet.

If ProcessLibrary.com doesn't give enough info or good info about a startup entry just leave it alone - I should've stated that in the first post, and I should've told you to make a System Restore point first too - I'm slipping, sorry!

There's also search engines like Google.com to search for some stuff that "may be listed on other websites," and don't forget Microsoft.com as well as they "may have KB articles" about startup files and why they're needed, and if they can be safely disabled or not.

Edit:

I just noticed in another thread here were TonyKlein listed a couple of sites with startup lists.

If ProcessLibrary.com doesn't give enough info or good info about a startup entry just leave it alone - I should've stated that in the first post, and I should've told you to make a System Restore point first too - I'm slipping, sorry!

There's also search engines like Google.com to search for some stuff that "may be listed on other websites," and don't forget Microsoft.com as well as they "may have KB articles" about startup files and why they're needed, and if they can be safely disabled or not.

Edit:

I just noticed in another thread here were TonyKlein listed a couple of sites with startup lists.

Sweet, I'll check out what you suggested. Thanks!

Brenda

Now that I messed with process library, every time I boot up, I get a black screen (for like 2-3 seconds) asking to boot up in windows or recovery mode. Can anyone assist me with that? I so sorry, my pc is always messed up.

Brenda

• Moderators
Did you make a system restore point as Andavari suggested?

That and exactly what startups did you disable?

Some startups shouldn't be messed with, and are required by Windows. However some third-party startups are safe to disable.

Well, when I ran it, Andavari had forgotten to tell me that I had to make a restore point. I don't know which ones or if I did disable because I was told when I rebooted after using the program, that I had to put it back in normal mode, which I did. Hope that made any sense at all..lol

Brenda

• Moderators

If you've got things back to normal Brenda, you could have a look at Malwarebytes free "StartUpLight" application.

It recognizes the important stuff in your start-up to leave alone, and gives you the option to delete or, more wisely, disable what it thinks are unnecessary items, with of course the option to enable them again.

Latest version HERE at the bottom of the list.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have added, if you're still not sure, ask.

Alright my friend, I gave it a shot and will restart now to see what happens. If not, we should start from the beginning because I totally screwed up my pc :(

Brenda

• Moderators
If not, we should start from the beginning because I totally screwed up my pc :(

It's a good thing if you haven't got WinXP Pro, because that Services.msc I told you about could have really annoyed you without finding out exactly what disabling something would result in.

Just home edition thank goodness. That black screen with the option to restore is still coming up. Should I make a system restore point, have a beer and forget all this happened?

Brenda

• Moderators
That black screen with the option to restore is still coming up. Should I make a system restore point, have a beer and forget all this happened?

If you have a digital camera take a picture of that screen and post a screenshot, pictures are better than descriptions sometimes.

If it's the "last known good configuration" I don't know why that would come up unless you disabled a Windows operating system startup that's actually needed for the correction functioning of Windows.

Yah

Have a beer for me also :P

Shoot I've already had 2 and I'm dying..I'm such a lightweight.

Ok, I'll take a pic and post it in a few. It's morning over there but it's almost 11pm here so let me get the brats to bed and will come back with the pic

Brenda

Please excuse my dirty monitor

Here is a surprise one when I turned off the pc--it says "CCSvcHst.exe--Application Error" something about the memory couldn't be written

IMG_2201.jpg

And here is what comes on for a couple of seconds when i reboot

IMG_2202.jpg

Brenda

I couldn't figure out how to turn off the flash..can you at least make out what it says on the black screen?

Brenda

• Moderators

From the screenshots I really don't know, and never knew Recovery Console could be a boot item without instructing it to be one.

For the shutdown issue a registry cleaner "may" be able to get rid of that, such as the registry cleaner in CCleaner.

Think repairing xp might be good idea

That or a PC technician, Windows is so great until it's broken.