Ad-Aware finds spyware after CCleaner

Gwailo

I have used CClener for probably close to a year and love it. I'm having it delete IE internet cache frequently (in fact every time I run it).

But even when I run CCleaner and then run Ad-Aware SE Plus immediately afterward. I frequently find tracking cookies. But if I ignore Ad-Aware's "clean" and then go empty the IC cache manually ... and then run Ad-Aware again, there is no spyware.

So is CCleaner really cleaning my internet cache files or not? Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

It may be the index.dat files in Internet Explorer, if it is you have to reboot your computer to have them cleaned.

Note all of Internet Explorer's browsing folders contain them, this includes: Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files. Even if they are deleted during the boot-up process as soon as Windows starts they will automatically be re-created, when you visit your first web-site they will all of a sudden start to grow in filesize again.

A simple spyware solution is to start using an alternative browser that makes it more difficult to get spyware on your system such as:

Mozilla Firefox, or Mozilla Suite - http://www.mozilla.org

Another solution to help protect and block spyware for Internet Explorer, and Mozilla browsers is to download SpywareBlaster, and if you are only wanting to use Internet Explorer also grab SpywareGuard at:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

It may be the index.dat files in Internet Explorer, if it is you have to reboot your computer to have them cleaned.

Thanks Andavari. I do use FF and love it too but there are a few websites (mostly financial stuff) that still requires IE. One question... I do have some cookies I want to keep and use an excellent "cookie management" program called Cookie Monster for that. If I delete index.dat, will I lose all cookies including the good ones I want to keep?