Memory upgrade

CeeCee

CeeCee, as you do not say what PC hardware nor what operating system you are running then it is a bit hard to recommend how much RAM to have installed.

Some good sites:

http://www.crucial.com

http://www.memorystock.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I run WinXP Home SP2 with IE7 with several Tabs open plus Outlook Express, WinPatrol PLUS, Windows Defender, AVG Free and Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 applications all running and I see from TaskManager that the RAM utilization is only 75% so that is plenty RAM for me as I don't run Games.

I do have 1GB on my AMD system as it is only half as fast as my P4 system.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I personally couldn't stand the idea of having an odd amount of RAM, but I guess it depends on how long you plan on using that particular computer. If you're going to use it for a few years, then go for it.

IPB Image

I run WinXP Home SP2 with IE7 with several Tabs open plus Outlook Express, WinPatrol PLUS, Windows Defender, AVG Free and Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 applications all running and I see from TaskManager that the RAM utilization is only 75% so that is plenty RAM for me as I don't run Games.

I do have 1GB on my AMD system as it is only half as fast as my P4 system.

Only 75% ?!?!?! My page file usage hovers at 450 MB (while doing nothing), and I have 2 gbs of Crucial Ballistix installed. I flip when I start going over 50% of my RAM being used, unless I'm running like 3 applications.

@CeeCee - What Jago is trying to say is that it is more common to have two identically sized modules of RAM. This comes into play when you have DDR/DDR2 RAM to get the extra boost from the identical modules.

AJ

XP does not make very good use of your RAM. Vista does much better for various technical reasons. I have 4GB on one channel in Vistax64 and love it. Personally on XP I would try to stretch to 2GB but the problems with the XP kernel amongst other things means that you wont get more than 2gb addressable memory to applications so 3GB in XP is overkill IMHO.