WinXP service pack 3 details released

JDPower

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/windows-xp-s...lysis-included/

Contrary to popular belief, Windows XP SP3 does ship with all-new features - not just patches and hotfixes, most of them backported from Windows Vista:

* New Windows Product Activation model: no need to enter product key during setup. Thank God for that!

* Network Access Protection modules and policies have been brought to XP after being one of the more-well-received features in Windows Vista. You can read more about NAP here.

* New Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module - the Windows XP SP3 kernel now includes an entire module that provides easy access to multiple cryptographic algorithms and is available for use in kernel-mode drivers and services.

* New ?Black Hole Router? detection - Windows XP SP3 can detect and protect against rogue routers that are discarding data.

Windows XP SP3 now contains 1,073 patches/hotfixes, not including those in previous service packs. Of the 1,073 included updates, 114 are for security-related issues. The remainder are updates to performance & reliability, bugfixes, improvements to kernel-mode driver modules, and many BSOD fixes.

This sounds pretty good to me as long as they dont screw up anything.

SP2 has been the best, most stable operating system that I have ever used. I actually have no major issues with it at all.

I just hope it doesn't cause all the problems SP2 did when it initially came out :unsure:

• Moderators
I just hope it doesn't cause all the problems SP2 did when it initially came out :unsure:

I upgraded lots of computers to SP2 and never had a single problem. I think all the problems came from those whose computer was screwed up already.

I upgraded lots of computers to SP2 and never had a single problem. I think all the problems came from those whose computer was screwed up already.

It caused problems with a couple of my programs when it came out that required program updates to fix, and IIRC one problem that needed a Windows hotfix a few weeks after it was released.

• Moderators
It caused problems with a couple of my programs when it came out that required program updates to fix, and IIRC one problem that needed a Windows hotfix a few weeks after it was released.

Yeah, I didnt even think about the software issues.

I was meaning more along the lines of the people who complained that "SP2 trashed my computer, caused it not to boot, hurt performance, ect, ect, ect."

• Moderators
unless I messed something up, but that was my fault...

I think Microsoft shouldn't make things so easy to mess up though. I think just about any tweaker has made a mess of something and had to use a restore point, well as least once anyways.

I'll be patient and wait a few weeks / months after it's been released to upgrade... It's not that I don't want to upgrade, I just don't feel like dealing with any issues that may arise with the initial release.

IPB Image