Avant Browser

Anthony A

I decided to give Avant another try yesterday. I used the portable version that you just unzip to a folder and it's ready to go. Just like the other times I have used this browser it hi jacks the default browser setting. No matter how you set the options this thing makes itself the default. This makes it malware in my books. I searched their forum and it has been reported before but there doesn't seem to be much interest in fixing the problem so I am going to assume the developer likes the browser being malware and the regular users don't care because they like it being the default browser. Anybody here using Avant or tried it recently? Is it jacking your default browser settings? Here is the link to it. The USB version is just a zip that can be unzipped to your hard drive not requiring an install. http://www.avantbrowser.com/download.html

• Moderators

Have you tried the solution here? (Post number4)

http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8932

Having had a look around their does seem to be one or two people who have the problem, also read somewhere it could happen if you used spy sweeper, obviosly I have no idea if that is true.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Have you tried the solution here? (Post number4)

http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8932

Having had a look around their does seem to be one or two people who have the problem, also read somewhere it could happen if you used spy sweeper, obviosly I have no idea if that is true.

Thats a different problem than I'm having. Those people are having problems setting the home page. I am having problems with Avant making itself the default browser when I do not want it to be. Every time I launch Avant it becomes the default browser on my machine. If I try to launch Firefox I get a message informing me that Firefox is not the default browser and do I want to set it to be. I do and when I launch Avant again it steals the default browser setting again and again. This is malware to me. I have tried everything in the Windows Set Programs Access And Defaults as well as the Avant options and it does not work. There appears to be no solution on their forum either.

Sorry Anthony, I misread. That would really bug me if that happened.

Lets hope someone has a few ideas which may help you, I'll keep looking of course :)

You would think their forum would be all over this. I have tried Avant 5 times now and every time this has happened so it isn't some new issue from a recent update. You should just have to go into Avant options and select not to make Avant the default and do not check on start up. I use 6 browsers and have tried a ton of others and none of them ever jacked the default browser setting except Avant 11. Hacking the registry or something like that would not be an acceptable fix for me to use Avant.

You could try setting the default browser in the Windows utility called Set Program Access and Defaults, it should be listed in the Start Menu. I have no idea if that will cure the problem though.

Re read my second post ;) Tried it and no go.

• Moderators

Since I'm feeling generous and the set up is only 1.8mb, I'll give it a try. :P

I installed it and booted it up 3 times and it didn't change my default browser.

This browser is pretty ugly now. Whats up with the ugly pastel purple colored icons? The new maxthon used junky looking icons like that too. dumb.

oh well, back to IE7. :D

Since I'm feeling generous and the set up is only 1.8mb, I'll give it a try. :P

I installed it and booted it up 3 times and it didn't change my default browser.

This browser is pretty ugly now. Whats up with the ugly pastel purple colored icons? The new maxthon used junky looking icons like that too. dumb.

oh well, back to IE7. :D

Did you use for a little bit each time? Thats when it changes.

You can skin Avant and Maxthon 2. Here is a couple shots of my Maxthon 2

2007-10-08_231047.jpg

2007-10-08_231040.jpg

• Moderators

Sorry but I dont like either of those. :lol:

I like dark themes for windows(LE4 for instance) but black menus for programs has always just seemed ugly and hard to read. The second one looks like flock. :(

The one thing I don't understand is why those programs cant do spell checking. IE7 can do it with a plug in but those 2 companies who spend their entire time writing a complete shell for IE cant do it? Seems kinda dumb to me. Oh and I know there is IE spell but I need something that just does it as I type or I wont bother using it. :lol:

Oh and I kept it open about a minute or so each time.

Sorry but I dont like either of those. :lol:

I like dark themes for windows(LE4 for instance) but black menus for programs has always just seemed ugly and hard to read. The second one looks like flock. :(

The one thing I don't understand is why those programs cant do spell checking. IE7 can do it with a plug in but those 2 companies who spend their entire time writing a complete shell for IE cant do it? Seems kinda dumb to me. Oh and I know there is IE spell but I need something that just does it as I type or I wont bother using it. :lol:

Oh and I kept it open about a minute or so each time.

One minute isn't long enough. I used it for a while but it did it everytime.

The second one is the Flock skin :P I like them both. No accounting for taste.

Tiny Spell checks as you type on any program. I have it and it works well.

• Moderators

Tiny spell is a pretty good program. I used it a while ago then firefox 2 came out and well, it just didnt cut it anymore.

Now I'm using IE7 pro which is just as good. I feel like I'm always writing in a word processor and the nice thing is that since firefox has become a little more popular to the hard core web users, spelling all around the net has seemed to improve. :lol: Pretty nice to go to forums and see very few spelling mistakes and easy to understand posts. :D

As far as it checking my other programs, well any other program I need spell checking in, already has it built it. :D

I would just keep avant open but I already dumped it and feel no need to bother with it until the next release. :D

• Moderators

I've tried Avant a couple of times this year, and used it both times for maybe one hour. It has never automagically set itself as the default browser when I used it. I have to agree with rridgely on it, it has never been a keeper for me either.

I've tried Avant a couple of times this year, and used it both times for maybe one hour. It has never automagically set itself as the default browser when I used it. I have to agree with rridgely on it, it has never been a keeper for me either.

Well I hate it when crap happens to me and other people can't reproduce the problem. I know I am not the only one though having the problem.

As for being a keeper it's not as good as my other browsers. It's no contest between Avant and Firefox. Maxthon 2 is my second favorite no contest there either.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I've just installed and ran Version 11.5 build 21, and it didn't take over as default browser.

Opened a small window on initial install asking if it should be default when installed. Selected no, and that was it. Closed and opened it a few times, and Firefox remained as default.

I've just installed and ran Version 11.5 build 21, and it didn't take over as default browser.

Opened a small window on initial install asking if it should be default when installed. Selected no, and that was it. Closed and opened it a few times, and Firefox remained as default.

Well that pisses me off. I still have the issue and I like Avant other than that.

Maybe we are doing things different. Try this. Open Firefox and set it as default. Also select the setting that asks if you want Firefox to check if it is the default browser every time it starts. Now close Firefox and run Avant for a little while. When you start Fireofx again do you get a message informing you that Firefox is not the default browser and would you like to set it as default? I get this message after I run Avant. No matter what browser I set as default if I run Avant that browser is no longer default. After looking at this further Avant doesn't make itself default. What it does is makes IE default instead of the browser I had set as default.

Dennis when you say Avant doesn't take over the default browser setting how are checking for this? How do you know? When I set a browser as default I also select the setting to check on start up if it's default. So if for some reason that browser is no longer set as default I get a message informing me of this that's how I know it's not default anymore.

• Moderators
Well that pisses me off. I still have the issue and I like Avant other than that.

Maybe we are doing things different. Try this. Open Firefox and set it as default. Also select the setting that asks if you want Firefox to check if it is the default browser every time it starts. Now close Firefox and run Avant for a little while. When you start Fireofx again do you get a message informing you that Firefox is not the default browser and would you like to set it as default? I get this message after I run Avant. No matter what browser I set as default if I run Avant that browser is no longer default. After looking at this further Avant doesn't make itself default. What it does is makes IE default instead of the browser I had set as default.

Dennis when you say Avant doesn't take over the default browser setting how are checking for this? How do you know? When I set a browser as default I also select the setting to check on start up if it's default. So if for some reason that browser is no longer set as default I get a message informing me of this that's how I know it's not default anymore.

That's the way I have Firefox set up. To check that it is the default browser (because my daughter uses IE7), and subsequently I opened and closed Avant and Firefox at least half a dozen times and Firefox never popped up a window stating that it wasn't the default.

I'm more than happy to try it again Anthony because I can imagine how frustrated you must feel.

I can empathise with the problem because no matter how I set up my internet settings, I cannot get Opera to connect my broadband. Weird.

I'll come back to you.