Cleaning user files on Windows Server 2003

MrRedPants

I am using CCleaner in order to clean temp internet files and temp files on a windows 2003 server.

The server is used primarily for terminal services. I have not found an easy way to keep the temp internet files under control, so, I am using CCleaner.

I have it set up under the administrator as an event within windows task scheduler.

In order for it to clean ALL the users temp files, I am individually adding two folders from within each user:

c:\documents and settings\$user$\local settings\temporary internet files\*.*

c:\documents and settings\$user$\local settings\temp\*.*

So, two questions:

1. is this information stored in a text file somewhere in install folder? Can it be manually edited? Going through and adding each individual folder via "add folder" button is VERY tedious for many many users. If I could edit a txt file it would help a lot. Not to mention I would want to back that file up if I ever want to reinstall with same settings.

2. Anyone have a better idea to accomplish my task?

Thanks in advance

Brian

• Moderators

The file with the settings is stored in the CCleaner program folder (note you may have to enable the settings file in CCleaner by going into Options->Advanced, then tick Save all settings to INI file):

CCleaner.ini

Included file paths are editable, and will look like this:

Include1=FILE|C:\|bootex.log

The included folder paths are editable, and will look like this:

Include2=PATH|C:\TEMP\|*.*

Include3=PATH|C:\WINDOWS\$regcmp$\|*.*

With the Temporary Internet Files you may not have much luck trying to clean them via an included path, and definitely not the index.dat files which have to be scheduled for deletion at startup.

• 4 months later...
PERFECT!

Thanks so much.

I have a solution that will run CCleaner for every user when they log on to terminal services.

Create a batch file with the following line:

"C:\program files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /auto

Put the batch file in c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\startup\

Make sure the security for the batch file is set to full access for all users.

At the end of any day you will have one days worth of "crap" but you would have that anyway unless you ran CCleaner at the beginning and end of each day for every user.