CCleaner Portable

Glenn

This may already have been asked but ...

In CCleaner 2.01.507 Portable, where are the settings being saved?

I put it on a USB flash drive and, when I changed the settings, no files on the stick nor the hard drive appear to change. They are obviously being saved somewhere because they were preserved after a reboot.

To registry by default, which isn't very convenient for portable applications. You should set the option "Save all settings to INI file" on, from CCleaner options. That way the setting are saved on your USB flash drive and not on the host machine. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
To registry by default, which isn't very convenient for portable applications. You should set the option "Save all settings to INI file" on, from CCleaner options. That way the setting are saved on your USB flash drive and not on the host machine. ;)

I have CCleaner installed on one of my computers. If I copy CCleaner.exe from that computer to a folder on my USB flash drive, put that USB flash drive in another computer, open CCleaner from the flash drive, select the option to "Save all settings to INI file," and run the cleaner and registry issues tools, will CCleaner leave any traces whatsoever (such as a registry entry) on the second computer? Or do I have to actually install CCleaner in a folder on the USB flash drive and/or select the option to "Save all settings to INI file" before I even place the USB flash drive in the second computer? Thanks.

Damon

• 2 weeks later...
I have CCleaner installed on one of my computers. If I copy CCleaner.exe from that computer to a folder on my USB flash drive, put that USB flash drive in another computer, open CCleaner from the flash drive, select the option to "Save all settings to INI file," and run the cleaner and registry issues tools, will CCleaner leave any traces whatsoever (such as a registry entry) on the second computer? Or do I have to actually install CCleaner in a folder on the USB flash drive and/or select the option to "Save all settings to INI file" before I even place the USB flash drive in the second computer? Thanks.

Damon

I tried both and registry entries are created.

Even in the second scenario, where the Save all settings to INI file option was set up beforehand on another PC, a registry entry identifying the path to CCleaner.exe on the USB flash drive was created on the cleaned PC in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache.

I tried both and registry entries are created.

Even in the second scenario, where the Save all settings to INI file option was set up beforehand on another PC, a registry entry identifying the path to CCleaner.exe on the USB flash drive was created on the cleaned PC in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache is a complex subject.. sort of. But none the less... having an entry in this key has nothing to do with CCleaner's ( or other program's ) settings per se or even it making the entry itself.

MUICache is sort of like the MRU entires only for program files and dll's... only on steriods... lol. Its actually Windows itself that uses this area ( though a program can also make use of it in certain situations if needed ).

MUI ... basically stands for multiple user interface. The MUIcache location then can keep track of language translations, selected icons that are shown for a program... or other info about a program file or dll such as just a location. Since this is done on a user by user basis... each user can have different languages, icons, values or or settings for the program. Just running a program can cause Windows itself to place an entry in this location and the program doesn't need to do anything itself.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache is a complex subject.. sort of. But none the less... having an entry in this key has nothing to do with CCleaner's ( or other program's ) settings per se or even it making the entry itself.

MUICache is sort of like the MRU entires only for program files and dll's... only on steriods... lol. Its actually Windows itself that uses this area ( though a program can also make use of it in certain situations if needed ).

MUI ... basically stands for multiple user interface. The MUIcache location then can keep track of language translations, selected icons that are shown for a program... or other info about a program file or dll such as just a location. Since this is done on a user by user basis... each user can have different languages, icons, values or or settings for the program. Just running a program can cause Windows itself to place an entry in this location and the program doesn't need to do anything itself.

Are you the moderator from the AVG forums?

... having an entry in this key has nothing to do with CCleaner's ( or other program's ) settings per se or even it making the entry itself.

Damon asked if CCleaner Portable leaves traces. I was just pointing out that the registry entry is created. It doesn't much matter that Windows creates the entry.