antivir premium free 6months

rridgely

http://www1.avira.com/en/evaluate/pcworld_poland.php

Get antivir premium free for 6 months. I haven't gotten it yet but I might put it on one of my computers.

Advantages of premium over free:

http://www1.avira.com/en/products/personal.html

This is great news. I had a 6 month trial that was expiring. Although it sometimes comes up with false positives (see Nirsoft utilities, mp3directcut, etc), it may be the most thorough payware AV available next to Norton 2007 and the new Norton 2008. Yes, I know some love NOD32 and Kaspersky, but Antivir consistently scores (along with Norton) some of the best ratings on av-comparatives.org, and their forum is very helpful. They're open with information and always submit the size of the definition files. The one problem can be the time taken for the download, but between their excellent heuristic options, malware coverage in the premium version, and included anti-rootkit scanner, no computer user should pass up this opportunity if you're currently using a free AV. At the very least, take advantage of this premium offer and keep your current free AV as an on-demand scanner. Just make sure that you disable its services and start-up entries before you load Avira Premium, and do the same with Avira if you scan with the 2nd AV.

In regard to Norton, the most recent versions are much lighter on resources, always score very highly in the reviews, and the Symantec site is practically the bible for researching how to manually delete trojans and viruses from the OS and registry. Remember I'm referring to NAV and not NIS. If they offer it for free after rebate, I would suggest getting it. I bought the NAV 2007/Norton Ghost 10/Partition Magic 8 box set for free after $70 in rebates and I had the rebate checks in about a month. Unfortunately, since I'm still running Windows 2000 Pro, I can't use Norton 2007 (yet), so I have it sitting in the bullpen. :)

i downloaded AntiVir a few days ago onto my new Vista machine and was disappointed, kinda. the updates both manual and automatic did not work. i browsed around the AntiVir forums and found a work around, seems as though i'm not the only one who had the update problems.

Vista update problems-AntiVir forums

Lunarsoft.png2vl89qo.gif

• Moderators

Yeah the antivir updater on the free version is pretty crappy. That is my one real problem with antivir.

The pop up ad is only slightly annoying but slow/failing updates is a big turn off. On the other hand though antivir does an awesome job that the other freeware programs dont really stand up to.

• Moderators
Yeah the antivir updater on the free version is pretty crappy. That is my one real problem with antivir.

Indeed, it's why I've never had a long time usage of the free version myself because of the updater being non-functional for too long of a period. I'm surprised they don't use a third-party high bandwidth service like Akamai, etc.

users with paid subscriptions are also having troubles with the updates for a Vista machine, not just the free version. and, just like what i went through before adding a registry value i did not get the initial DB update.

Lunarsoft.png2vl89qo.gif

Indeed, it's why I've never had a long time usage of the free version myself because of the updater being non-functional for too long of a period. I'm surprised they don't use a third-party high bandwidth service like Akamai, etc.

Amazing that you should mention Akamai Technologies. This has been a pet peeve of mine for some time. I suggest that many here install Sysinternals.com's excellent little utility called "TCPview". I monitor this quite often and it's frightening to see how many major sites use Akamai.

I called my ISP about a year ago to find out if they use them and it was hard to get an answer (the rep probably didn't know and was somewhat surprised to hear that a user is monitoring IP connections). Open your browser and connect to MSN.com, Google.com, etc. and you will probably see a port connection to Akamai open for several seconds and close.

Don't you think that the average user should be informed? After all, how do we know what information Akamai is collecting? Most people don't even know that they're assisting the major online servers. We all probably connect to Akamai Technologies more than any other site on the web.

Evidently from what I've seen they've did that 6 month trial before.

Yeah. mine just ran out last month, got excited about a new 6 month thing for about 10 seconds until reading its no longer out there, hope they do another one....

I've always been really happy with the job AntiVir does....

• Moderators
Amazing that you should mention Akamai Technologies.

I've seen complaints galore about Akamai before and there's even HOSTS files floating about that block them.

However in the end rather I'm right or wrong they just seem to be a hosting service that companies pay to use for high speed delivery of content, files and services, etc. Perhaps they're over used or whatever. I don't know if Grisoft the makers of AVG security products still use them or not, however in the past I know they did use Akamai and it was one of the most reliable sources to download AVG Free from as the official download source linked to via the Grisoft downloads section.