IE favicons

wolfie

Is there a config option to tell CCleaner not to delete favicons? If so, I can't find it...

DjLizard says it is not currently an option, so please can you add this?

Alternatively, see my work around in my reply to Red Dalek below B)

Many thanks for a fine tool!

yes, my favicons always vanish from my favorites menu straight after running CCleaner and restarting IE.

This has actually been covered here on the forums before. It's because when you clean out the cache the favicons are stored in the cache. They come back if you go to the sites again.

This has actually been covered here on the forums before.  It's because when you clean out the cache the favicons are stored in the cache.  They come back if you go to the sites again.

Yes, but if you look at SuperCleaner, it has an option which allows you to clean out the cache but not the favicons if you want. So clearly it would be possible for CCleaner to leave the favicons intact.

Yes, but if you look at SuperCleaner, it has an option which allows you to clean out the cache but not the favicons if you want. So clearly it would be possible for CCleaner to leave the favicons intact.

You want to keep an icon that will only be seen in IE under the favorites? What harm is there in wiping them and just letting them get restored when you see the site?

The author of this thread thinks it's a valid concern, thus it is.

No point in trying to invalidate wolfie by pointing to minimized impact on functionality or uselessness to another/unrelated individual; it is still a valid question.

All wolfie wanted was to be pointed in the direction of the option to preserve favicons.

We're sorry wolfie, CCleaner doesn't currently have that ability, but feel free to turn this thread into an official request for that feature!

Cheers.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

The author of this thread thinks it's a valid concern, thus it is.

No point in trying to invalidate wolfie by pointing to minimized impact on functionality or uselessness to another/unrelated individual; it is still a valid question.

All wolfie wanted was to be pointed in the direction of the option to preserve favicons.

We're sorry wolfie, CCleaner doesn't currently have that ability, but feel free to turn this thread into an official request for that feature!

Cheers.

Though the purpose of Crap Cleaner is to CLEAN out the crap, not keep it. <_<

As I understand it there is a bug in IE favicons anyway. When your cache is cleared (or just goes over the limit and is automatically pruned), you loose your favicons and they don't come back by simply visiting the site. Hopefully IE7 will fix this rather stupid behaviour - Firefox doesn't have the same trouble

(It's mentioned on the official IE blog here)

• Moderators

Here's what I do, this only works with Internet Explorer though:

* Open the 'Windows\Temp' folder (or whatever your global Temp folder is) and look for the icon, sometimes they may get stored there depending upon how the site is designed.

* Open the Temporary Internet Files folder whilst Internet Explorer is running and has already loaded the favicon by pressing in the IE toolbar 'Tools\Internet Options' in the Temporary Internet Files section click 'Settings\View Files' then look for the icon. To copy it out of the Temporary Internet Files folder you will have to deal with warning prompts about it being unsafe, etc., however copying the icon shouldn't cause any ill-effects.

* I would then copy it to a safe place such as 'Windows\Icons\Favicons' and rename it to correspond with the website.

* Finally, once in 'Windows\Icons\Favicons' I would then open up the IE Favorites and then right click a link, and select Properties, and manually change the icon to the one I copied.

AM Deadlink is much easier :lol:

* Open the 'Windows\Temp' folder (or whatever your global Temp folder is) and look for the icon, sometimes they may get stored there depending upon how the site is designed.

* Open the Temporary Internet Files folder whilst Internet Explorer is running and has already loaded the favicon by pressing in the IE toolbar 'Tools\Internet Options' in the Temporary Internet Files section click 'Settings\View Files' then look for the icon. To copy it out of the Temporary Internet Files folder you will have to deal with warning prompts about it being unsafe, etc., however copying the icon shouldn't cause any ill-effects.

* I would then copy it to a safe place such as 'Windows\Icons\Favicons' and rename it to correspond with the website.

* Finally, once in 'Windows\Icons\Favicons' I would then open up the IE Favorites and then right click a link, and select Properties, and manually change the icon to the one I copied.

• 10 months later...

It works fine. Thanks. Although, when I do a clean instal, I have to assign all FavIcons again (importing Favorites will not help). Is there a possibility to do it faster? And if the FavIcon get updated on the web, mine will not. Well, I just hope, that IE 7 Final will fix it.