Limewire vs. Frostwire

mfenech

emule is slow, but as you use it more, share files and such it gets much quicker. it has its own search feature, and after trying out various p2p devices, definately decided i like emule best. ive never gotten a virus or spyware from anything ive downloaded, and it has a great community. ive given edonkey and shareaza a try as well but always go back to emule. and torrents just dont seem to do it for me. its skinable and lots of interesting features to play with.

just my two cents. people that i know that have used limewire always seemed to get bad files. dont know why, but it seems to happen.

I installed Frostwire this morning. It did an uninstall if Limewire during its own install, which was ok. It somehow added an ask.com toolbar, which wasn't ok. I didn't notice it as an optional item during install. It may have been in the TOS section.

Otherwise, so far so good. It certainly seems faster, both with search results and with download speeds. I didn't set up any A/B test to confirm this. The only problem was I couldn't preview any song with my default player that was still being downloaded. The option was there, but it wouldn't respond.

• Moderators
I installed Frostwire this morning. It did an uninstall if Limewire during its own install, which was ok. It somehow added an ask.com toolbar, which wasn't ok. I didn't notice it as an optional item during install. It may have been in the TOS section.

Otherwise, so far so good. It certainly seems faster, both with search results and with download speeds. I didn't set up any A/B test to confirm this. The only problem was I couldn't preview any song with my default player that was still being downloaded. The option was there, but it wouldn't respond.

You must have an itchy mouse finger, you get an option to bin it during install. But to be honest when I was trying it under Returnil, I clicked through too quickly and missed it.

I think I'd be tempted to uninstall and reinstall again to get rid of it.

I couldn't preview anything in Frostwire either, which is why I couldn't check that BIG wrongly named file.

I've tried Limewire now as well, as the installer was in one of Frostwires folders. These are identical programmes, even the Interface is almost identical. As it happens, I prefer Limewire as it seemed to downloaded quicker.

But, I'm a newbie to this, and there must be so many variables when downloading, that it seems pretty difficult to tell which is best.

Dennis, you're correct - I missed it. Per their site, the ask.com toolbar was added in the most recent version of FW. It's harmless and easy to uninstall so no harm done.

The preview function not working is a bug in the most recent version, per FW's support forum. They're working on it.

No show-stopper complaints yet. I'll use it for a while and see what happens.