wireless network

unsober

hi, there's currently an unknown user logged onto my wireless network

is there a way to boot them off? :rolleyes:

i'm watching his web activity. at the moment, he's currently browsing myspace :huh:

I don't know much about networking so I'm clueless.

my router has a feature to block people from the network by their MAC address. how would I go about figuring out this users MAC address, so i can block them..?

(all my router tells me about the user is, he is using local ip 192.168.0.101)

i'm using an actiontec dsl modem/router

• Moderators

Easiest thing to do would be to change the router's Name, WPA Password, and then hide its SSID. Then just unplug/replug the router.

Thats what I would do anyway. If you were using a belkin or linksys router I could give you step by step instructions but I have never seen the interface or used the type of router you have.

• Moderators

I am looking into this matter now. I have a Action Wireless DSL modem, but I hooked it up to a linksys wireless router. Let me look at the setup of the modem real quick.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

Setup, Advanced, Begin Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings.

At the bottom you see:

Security: Off WEP WEP+802.1x WPA

Wireless Advanced Settings

SSID Broadcast: Disable Enable

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

ok I just disabled SSID.

right now the security is on 'WEP', should I change it to WPA? what's the difference?

I've looked all over my router settings, I don't see any MAC address logging.. I don't think my router does that

and I also yelled out the window. the signal doesn't reach too far, so I'm sure the person on my network heard me

"get off my network you douche!" B)

edit: nevermind, I found where it logs MACs addresses, it's listed under "DHCP User List"

thanks for the help !

WPA is supposed to be more secure. WEP can supposedly be cracked rather quickly if you have the right tools to do it(which is why WPA was implemented.) It doesn't make things any harder to use, you just have to remember the password.

And WPA2 is better if you have it. I only know after reading the Wiki article on it after going wireless recently myself:

Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA and WPA2) is a class of systems to secure wireless (Wi-Fi) computer networks. It was created in response to several serious weaknesses researchers had found in the previous system, Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). WPA implements the majority of the IEEE 802.11i standard, and was intended as an intermediate measure to take the place of WEP while 802.11i was prepared. WPA is designed to work with all wireless network interface cards, but not necessarily with first generation wireless access points. WPA2 implements the full standard, but will not work with some older network cards.

LINK

there.. I only allowed my MAC address to access the network, all others are blocked.. that should do it B)

on a side note,

I heard about this person, who would leave their network open on purpose, so people would log on, and he would then monitor their activity and see where they go, and get their user/passwords on internet forms

from a legal stand point, could you get in trouble for that? I mean, if you think about it, it's HIS network, not theirs..

he should be able to monitor his own network if he wants to, shouldn't he?

( ps. i'm not talking about bank accounts and stuff since that's obviously highly illegal, I'm talking about forum logins / myspace account and stuff like that :P)

'cause it's your network. you should be able to monitor it's activity..

i mean, HE'S the one intruding you, he's on your network!