Back-up option for the Cleaner (not Registry)

BamBam

Since the files get permanently deleted when you click on Run Cleaner in the Cleaner tab, shouldn't there be an option to back them up in case something goes wrong? :-o That way if your system starts acting weird after using CCleaner, you can always restore everything (both Cleaner and Registry deleted files) to find out if it was really caused by CCleaner or just a coincidence.

Also, it would be nice if the back-up filename didn't depend on the time of back-up. I had to wait another minute before I could proceed to the next item in the list. (I like to run the Registry fixer separately for each item so I know exactly what I'm deleting.) I once manually changed the filename number at the end so it wouldn't overwrite the previous back-up and didn't notice until too late that the back-up saved as a File and not a Registry Back-up. I couldn't restore it later on when I experienced problems with HP Total Care which had never given me any problems in the past. Now there will always be the doubt in my mind that maybe CCleaner deleted a crucial element of my HP help and support program. If I had been able to restore everything that CCleaner deleted from my system, then the doubt would have been erased (if the program still didn't work after restoring everything to its original state).

u should find the folder of HP Total Care .. and include that in the Exclude folder tab.

aren't you talking about some type of quarantine like in anti - viruses? it sounds quite cool if there would be something like that .. but anyways i don't face any problems with CC :)

Simplicity is hard.

Good for you. :) My laptop probably just went into shock after CCleaner deleted almost 2GB, it's been acting unusually. :P Yes, I think Ad-aware has that option in quarantine, right? You can restore files removed at a later date if you find that you need it after all? That would give us some peace of mind, I think. :)

P.S. Too late to add HP Total Care to the exclude list now, it's already half-gone. :o I'll try to run the recovery disk this weekend. If that doesn't work, I'll contact an HP online technician through their website. (Used to do that directly from HP Total Care, now I can't. :( ) I've had too little sleep these past couple of weeks to do any troubleshooting. Hehe... :P

I think that answer to why CCleaner not backing up what it cleans is that it would be self defeating, ie deleting several hundred Mb of junk just to create a backup file thats several hundred Mb in size. After time you'd have masses of space being taken up by the backups that CCleaner is creating - you'd end up losing more drive space than you'd gained by running it in the first place.

The other reason is that CCleaner shouldn't delete anything important, if it does then that is a bug that needs fixing rather than backing up and restoring it.

exactly :P ... was gonna write that down in my previous post about the bakup file being too big or sumthin i donno why i edited it :S ... anyways it would be nice if CC would show a list of EXTENSIONS it cleans .. the user could include ext. or delete them .. that would be quite helpful .. ?

Simplicity is hard.