Defragging with Paragon Hard Disk Manager

DennisD

Well I tried out the defrag in HD Manager and wasn't impressed at all. Two reasons - soooooo slow, took 20 mins to do what JKDefrag does in 2. And I didn't like where it chooses to place the pagefile, too close to the beginning of the disc for my liking, and there seems to be no option of leaving the pagefile where it is on disk (would be a cool addition to the program to give the user a choice of where to place the pagefile on the disc). The one positive is the defrag MFT option which no free defragger that I'm aware of has, and as this can be run independently of the main defrag that function will get some use.

I've yet to move that Dell Utility partition yet though (been busy with a reinstall on gf's laptop :rolleyes: ).

• Moderators
There's been a lot of defraggers talked about on here, and some of them recommended, and it's not easy for us ordinary mortals to tell which is best, or more importantly, which to steer clear of.

Any input would be appreciated.

If they claim to use the Microsoft Defrag API like most of them I've seen they're "probably safe." The stability of some of them is another issue in itself.

Well one last comment on this, and a word of warning. I used the Paragon defragger again the other day, it said it was gonna take 4 hours. Didn't have time for that so I hit escape to cancel the defrag (as it says to do at the bottom of the window). Computer restarted and nothing - Windows was gone.

So be careful if using the defragger and probably best to avoid cancelling the defrag once it starts.

On the plus side, as my Windows was trashed I decided to partition my HD for the first time (before Windows install, not with Paragon) and did it without a problem. Why I didn't do this sooner I don't know but I'm extremely glad I have.

I then gave Paragon a bit more use for its main purpose. Tried to move that Dell partition but Paragon couldn't do it for some reason (didn't give any clue why) so just deleted it instead and successfully, if somewhat nervously, used Paragon to reclaim the unallocated disk space to one of my partitions.

Certainly seems like a very useful program to have but I'll be steering well clear of it's defragger from now on.