Hidden Index.dat files in FF?

mvoltage

I know that Internet Explorer keeps a Hidden Index.dat files on webpages surfed.

Does Firefox have a hidden file like that? If so, how is it accessed? Can it be deleted?

I had read that Firefox doesn't use index.dat files, instead it uses a variety of cache folders in <system root>\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profilename>\Profiles. From what I've read though Firefox does a better job of limiting access to that information.

Does CCleaner already delete these hidden files?

• Moderators

If you're paranoid about any left over remnants of the cache you can make sure that CCleaner removes it everytime by adding the cache folder to the Custom Folders. Be careful though, make sure you only add the cache folder or you'll end up deleting your profile.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Internet Explorer keeps a Hidden Index.dat files on webpages surfed.

Does Firefox have a hidden file like that? If so, how is it accessed? Can it be deleted?

I had read that Firefox doesn't use index.dat files, instead it uses a variety of cache

Does CCleaner already delete these hidden files?

I'm not sure re: Firefox as I use Mozilla but they're very similar. In my analize report before running cleaner it shows at least 3 Mozilla caches which get cleaned during each run.

I recently saw a in depth report on police searching Mozilla caches re: a virus writer. It seemed to indicate there were 4 caches for examination. Possibly CC cleans ALL 4 and I just don't recognise the name of the 4th in the list. I would like to know also.

Most of the in-depth report was completely over my head !! :rolleyes:

• Moderators
I recently saw a in depth report on police searching Mozilla caches re: a virus writer. It seemed to indicate there were 4 caches for examination. Possibly CC cleans ALL 4 and I just don't recognise the name of the 4th in the list. I would like to know also.

Most of the in-depth report was completely over my head !! :rolleyes:

Below listed in the code is what Mozilla Suite does.

Its the default cache files only, if you download file(s) for instance a setup file it will create one especially for it.

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\User Profile\*.slt\Cache_CACHE_001__CACHE_002__CACHE_003__CACHE_MAP_

It also doesn't save files as people are used to in Internet Explorer, they have no extensions. This could possibly be a reason why it's more difficult to get virus, and spyware infected via Mozilla Suite, and Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks for that info !! Clears up many questions. Only use IE for MS update page and updating Adobe Reader. Been very pleased with Moz's resistance to most problems and am happy to be out of the "line of fire" ! I would recommend to all (at least ' til enough of us use it to make it worthwhile for blackhats to write for it)l :D