Security Alert Prevents Downloads in IE

krit86lr

Does anyone know how to turn off this security alert? Anytime you try to download a file using IE this is the message.

Security Alert

Your current settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

I checked the firewall settings, and IE settings. There doesn't seem to be anything in either setting to inhibit downloads. What other settings could be blocking downloads? The last download I tried was Spywareblaster from Filehippo's website. Any ideas would be great. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Well I tried that, and it didn't work. I set all the the internet, and intranet settings to Low. Enabled all downloading in Advanced, and then reinstalled IE. I think there are security settings outside of IE that are blocking maybe. The Security Logs in Event Viewer are loaded. Just not sure where to go.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Depending upon what you're wanting to download there's Firefox Portable, unless of course you're trying to download from Microsoft/Windows Update or the Microsoft Download site that will be of no help.

FF is running fine on the PC, but like your said that doesn't solve update issues. And their is an exploit in the IE Tab extension for FF. Although I don't use IE there are times when it is necessary. Unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Could a Group Policy be overriding the local settings maybe?

Have you tried using IE7 instead of IE6?

Nope, would need to download the file. I guess I could install the FF extension and try to download IE 7 that route then see if the installation fixes anything. Thanks for the idea. :)

• Moderators
Could a Group Policy be overriding the local settings maybe?

In Local Security Settings (Start, Run, secpol.msc) if a restriction was placed it can prevent an .exe file from loading. Although I have no idea and don't really know if it could block the downloading of files - that's more into the you'd better ask a malware removal expert area so you'll get proper information given.

In Local Security Settings (Start, Run, secpol.msc) if a restriction was placed it can prevent an .exe file from loading. Although I have no idea and don't really know if it could block the downloading of files - that's more into the you'd better ask a malware removal expert area so you'll get proper information given.

Thanks Andavari. I did post a HJT log too. :)

• Moderators

Did you install any of the following:

Host file

IE Spyad

Spyware Blaster

If so it could be one of those(I think IE spyad is the one that would cause that message. I've seen it block a few downloads on the computers I've put it on.)

Did you install any of the following:

Host file

IE Spyad

Spyware Blaster

If so it could be one of those(I think IE spyad is the one that would cause that message. I've seen it block a few downloads on the computers I've put it on.)

Not yet. I keep getting the security alert when trying to download spywareblaster. Trying to fix one problem at a time. For now the PC is running AntiVir, spybot, and that's it. I'll get the rest on it soon. :)

Added Note: But I have removed McAfee, and Yahoo! Spyblaster (some yahoo spyware protection). And installed HJT, and ran that Simfraud removal tool.

WTF!!! It seems to ONLY accept downloads from MS and nowhere else. So bizarre. :blink:

Update: I downloaded and installed IE7, but still the exact same problem.

So! What I ended up doing was creating a new user account. Logged into the new user account I exported several keys, and saved them in a folder located on the C drive.

In the registry I navigated to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\Zones

I exported every zone key (including the header zone key stated above), then think it was Zones 0-4.

Then I logged in as the main user, and imported every key.

Without even rebooting, it worked. :D How annoying though really.

• Moderators
I exported every zone key (including the header zone key stated above), then think it was Zones 0-4.

Then I logged in as the main user, and imported every key.

Without even rebooting, it worked. :D How annoying though really.

Hmm, I wonder if some anti-malware software could've broken it. In any event you figured it out an it's something I'll add to my endless barrage of notes on fixing Windows problems.