Bad Entry in Winapp2.ini or Bug ?

Shodan

Not sure if there is a bug in V2 beta 491, or if I am just missing the obvious. Simply trying to clean TMP files out of my root folder in Vista. Winapp2.ini entry is as follows:

[Misc Apps]

LangSecRef=3021

DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe

Default=True

FileKey1=%rootdir%|*.tmp

The 'test.tmp' file that I placed in my root folder does not delete. Would someone kindly confirm an error in my entry or the possibility of a bug? THANKS !

• Moderators

Yeah I've never been able to get the %rootdir% parameter to work in CCleaner via winapp2.ini.

You instead have to use:

%systemdrive%

This is the correction:

[*Misc Apps]LangSecRef=3021DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\CCleaner\CCleaner.exeDefault=TrueFileKey1=%systemdrive%|*.tmp

Note that we're currently using * in front of the winapp2.ini entries to distinguish them against cleaning routines that are installed by CCleaner's installer.

I'll PM TwistedMetal so that he knows of this. ;)

I changed my entry to %systemdrive% (copied and pasted your reply) and still no luck. Were you able to get it to delete a tmp file in Vista ? If I simiply change the folder the tmp file is in, it works like a charm, so I am wondering if it could be either a bug or a privs issue. I dont think it s a privs issue because I am the admin and I can add and delete files in the root folder at will...

• Moderators
I changed my entry to %systemdrive% (copied and pasted your reply) and still no luck. Were you able to get it to delete a tmp file in Vista ?

Don't know what to tell you then, and no I'm not using Windows Vista here. I wonder if it's just the parameter itself that is not working in Vista, but since I don't use Vista I have no way of finding out. It's probably going to take someone that uses Vista and knows some other parameters to find out what the proper one to use is.

EUREKA ! Problem resolved for Vista, and it was not a bug in CCleaner. Found this KB article on the MS website. Turns out you have to CREATE the

%rootdir% environment variable on Vista - it's not already there as in previous versions of Windows. Once I created it, following this KB article, CCleaner wiped the TMP files out of my C:\ folder like a charm. Hope this tip saves someone else some agony.

KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931715