Real Player

CTskifreak

I was wondering if anyone still has it. I downloaded thinking I would, but I've hardly had to use it. Do any of you still use it? Or is it not even a consideration to you anymore to have it installed?

Thanks,

AJ

EDIT - I'm tired this morning, and I posted it here in the Security forum, just because of the Windows Media Player topic... this can be moved if needed... I was up till about 1 AM and now its 10 AM...I'm like out of it. LOL

I always use the real alternative these days. I haven't come accross a file I haven't been able to play with it yet...

If real player came out with a basic player with out all the bloated extras and no added spyware/cookies, I might consider installing again.

I might be waiting a long time :D

• Moderators

I just tried it last week and Real Player (free version) has too many ad's in the free version and it's a little bloated, and on top of that it leaves a ton of junk in the registry when uninstalled.

It does however have some very nice features, but the ad's really kill it for me.

Real Alternative, and K-Lite Mega Codec Pack are good alternatives with zero ad's.

I'd personally go with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack because it will play just about anything, and if you don't like how the included Media Player Classic looks you can use Windows Media Player instead for playback as it will use the codecs installed by K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

• Moderators
What ads do you mean?

I used the newest version 11 beta available on Filehippo.com, so if you're using an older version it may not have those ad's. It was whatever that first tab/page is in the player it had Advertisement labeled on it. I couldn't actually see the ad picture due to having ad servers blocked in the HOSTS file but their was a tall ad window embedded in the program, if I'm remembering correctly it was on the far right side.

• Moderators
EDIT - I'm tired this morning, and I posted it here in the Security forum, just because of the Windows Media Player topic... this can be moved if needed... I was up till about 1 AM and now its 10 AM...I'm like out of it. LOL

Just had a nose through your front door, and a young guy like you should do that standing on your head.

Buy, they do say that us more....mature chaps have more stamina. :P

Must be right.

• Moderators
I just tried it last week and Real Player (free version) has too many ad's in the free version and it's a little bloated, and on top of that it leaves a ton of junk in the registry when uninstalled.

I've often thought of getting rid of this, but never gotten round to it. I wonder if many others have binned it.

Although there was a post recently which said the latest version was an improvement, looking similar to WM 11. Haven't been tempted yet to have a look at it, although I've just dusted the cobwebs off V10 for a spin.

Edit: Doesn't play gapless tracks like WinAmp, and can't find any option to change this. ;)

• Moderators
Although there was a post recently which said the latest version was an improvement, looking similar to WM 11. Haven't been tempted yet to have a look at it, although I've just dusted the cobwebs off V10 for a spin.

The only comparison I have of RP is from like version 6 and then a light years jump to 11 beta. It does look allot like WMP 11, in fact I thought it was better designed and easier to use versus WMP 11.

Seems like too many applications are going with a black or gray that's near black for the GUI - I wish these developers would also include a lighter coloured skin.

I'd personally go with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack because it will play just about anything, and if you don't like how the included Media Player Classic looks you can use Windows Media Player instead for playback as it will use the codecs installed by K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

Does the K-Lite pack work fine on streaming sites that need Real or Quicktime? I've yet to install Real player or Quicktime on this computer and have been toying with the idea of using the K-Lite pack instead but are there any downsides?

• Moderators
Does the K-Lite pack work fine on streaming sites that need Real or Quicktime? I've yet to install Real player or Quicktime on this computer and have been toying with the idea of using the K-Lite pack instead but are there any downsides?

Yeah it works fine.

• Moderators

It works fine. Although I've only seen maybe two websites at the most in the several months I've used K-Lite Mega Codec Pack that insisted on Firefox using QuickTime which runs like crap through a 1/10th mm straw on any system I've used it on.

Just had a nose through your front door, and a young guy like you should do that standing on your head.

Buy, they do say that us more....mature chaps have more stamina. :P

Must be right.

No..I wasn't doing that!!! LOL ... I was talking to my g/f, and I woke up and had a headache.

Question about the codec - does it install for a certain program, like Windows Media Player? The filehippo description isn't that clear.

AJ

• Moderators
Question about the codec - does it install for a certain program, like Windows Media Player? The filehippo description isn't that clear.

The codecs K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installs will allow you to also use WMP for playing Real Player and QuickTime media files, although they'll be registered in Media Player Classic.

• Moderators
No..I wasn't doing that!!! LOL ...

AJ

:lol: AJ please, you've got me in pain here.

When I said you should be able to do that standing on your head, I meant having late nights and then bouncing back again the next morning.

I think we have a slight case of "lost in translation". 1%20(51).gif

I only have Real Player as sometimes the BBC site doesn't always stream in WMP. Personally, I'd rather get rid of RP - it really is a pain, is far too bloated and I avoid using it unless absolutely necessary.

:lol: AJ please, you've got me in pain here.

When I said you should be able to do that standing on your head, I meant having late nights and then bouncing back again the next morning.

I think we have a slight case of "lost in translation". 1%20(51).gif

:lol:

Cheers everyone.

IPB Image

• Moderators
I will probably install that and uninstall RealPlayer.

Make sure you remove Real Player, and QuickTime first then run CCleaner's Issues multiple times afterwords. K-Lite Mega Codec Pack doesn't like it when those other players are installed and may not work correctly with them installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Its IP theft to use alternatives to quick time and realplayer. I just dont use those technologies in my media. Being a wintel user I have ffdshow tryouts with libavcodec to deal with the things that Vista wont do by default along with direct vobsub and haali's matroska splitter- e.g. Vorbis, mpeg4-asp, H.264, MKV, external subs etcetc