media monkey vs. wmp11

does media monkey have any features that wmp11 doesnt? what are everyones thoughts on the two? which uses less memory?

and are there other media library programs that are equivalent to ease of use and usability?

thanks all. :)

Any media player that automatically alters the files it plays is a disaster waiting to happen.

MediaMonkey is one such player and it's creating problems for people when it adds tags that are incompatible with other players and decoders. A recent version is also known to corrupt the headers of flac files that it plays. Not good. Avoid.

• Moderators

WMP 11 has grown on me a lot. I liked it when it first came out then I had to use something else for a while because I had some problem where it kept freezing. I reinstalled it and its been great ever since. The library functions are great, and the player itself is just nice and clean. I also like its minimize mode into the taskbar where I can still control the songs/volume/ect.

I've used mediamonkey a lot in the past and never had any problems with it messing up my song lables. They always show up in my other MPs and on my mp3 player.

• Moderators
foobar2000 with foo_burninate and either Panels UI or Columns UI FTW.

Because I listen to a lot of stuff with gapless tracks, I've been giving Foobar a runout today, and for playback it's pretty amazing. Good sound quality, seamless gapless playback, (a lot of apps claim to be able to do that, but still have an irritating "click" between tracks), and the smallest footprint I've seen when it's minimsed.

At the moment it's hovering around 1.6mb. Amazing.

What I didn't know until today was how much you can configure the UI. Been having a look at the HydrogenAudio forums, and there's a lot of the guys stuff you can download.

Wouldn't mind some input/advice on Foobar, as I'm well impressed.

Thanks.

• Moderators
What I didn't know until today was how much you can configure the UI.

It doesn't take much to f*** up the configuration too, been there and done that. ;)

Get into the habit of backing up the .CFG configuration files in the Foobar2000 program folder, even zipping them and leaving them in that program folder is fine so long as you make a backup once it's configured to your liking.

• Moderators
It doesn't take much to f*** up the configuration too, been there and done that. ;)

Decided not to change anything. Nice and simple is fine, as it's minimised 99% of the time anyway.

Only problem I'm having is getting it to recognize a couple of my albums as separate albums. They appear identical, ie in My Music folder, and in their own folders, and are .wav files.

But when Foobar scans My Music, it insists on taking these two albums and putting them in the album list as one entry with a question mark instead of album name. Could this have something to do with tags?

All I can think of is that almost everything was ripped originally with WMplayer, whereas these two were ripped with Audiograbber.

• Moderators
They appear identical, ie in My Music folder, and in their own folders, and are .wav files.

All I can think of is that almost everything was ripped originally with WMplayer, whereas these two were ripped with Audiograbber.

For God's sake use FLAC it's lossless and supports tags, and grab a frontend for FLAC. You should also get a good secure ripper.

• Moderators
For God's sake use FLAC it's lossless and supports tags, and grab a frontend for FLAC. You should also get a good secure ripper.

You're coming over loud and clear. :D

As a ripper I've always thought Audiograbber first class, I've used it for ages, and old habbits can be hard to change, but it doesn't appear to support flac.

Seeing as how you've mentioned this to me before, I'll have another look.

Thanks for the links.

:)

• Moderators
The library view in Windows Media Player 11 is soo... bliss.

I can't stand it that WMP 11 doesn't have an option to stop the library from constantly rebuilding itself. I know I could place my music in a not monitored folder but that more or less defeats the purpose as other software wouldn't be able to automatically add it.

• Moderators
The library view in Windows Media Player 11 is soo... bliss.

I have to pretty much agree. The way it organizes and searches your music is second to none.

It makes finding and playing music a joy.

There are only 2 things I dont like about the interface that I wish it did like WMP10. 1 is burning cds. I dont burn a lot of music(even my car has a USB port that I use my mp3 player on) but the way it makes you just drag the songs into the sidebar is a little bit of a pain. The other is putting music on an MP3 player. It does it the same way it burns cds and thats just not very intuitive when you want to do more than just put songs on it. Other than that I would give WMP11 a 10/10.

• Moderators
As a ripper I've always thought Audiograbber first class, I've used it for ages, and old habbits can be hard to change, but it doesn't appear to support flac.

It supports FLAC now as a re-packaged and much needed update to include secure ripping, automatic album art embedding, better default configuration, automatic Replaygain, etc., it's available on Hydrogenaudio.org here. You'll however need to download the newest stable or beta of lame_enc.dll here.

I'm going to try the re-packaged version as soon as I'm done posting this to see how the secure ripping is out of pure curiosity.

• Moderators
I'm going to try the re-packaged version as soon as I'm done posting this to see how the secure ripping is out of pure curiosity.

How did it go for you?

I got it configured fine using the external decoder option to launch the bat file, but the weirdest thing.

Tracks ripped fine, set as instructed to rip all tracks before encoding, and then the flac conversion tripped in, and then, all the files disappeared! :o

Racked my brains this afternoon, but I can't see anything I did wrong.

Changed the output directory, but as long as you restart AG after, this new package supposedly allows for that.

Unless the bat file hasn't taken an output destination change into consideration although the small help file says it's covered?

I'd like to get this working, because AG is lightening fast with the rip. That's what I've always liked about it.

• Moderators

I didn't try it long enough to even test out all the changes, I only got around to the automatic album art add-on, and checking the various better settings.

I'd suggest asking the repackaging author in that thread since he should know the correct answer.

AG is lightening fast with the rip.

Better figure out how to get it's secure mode function for matching CRC's then so you'll know you have good rips even at lightening speed which is actually called Burst Mode ripping.

• Moderators
I didn't try it long enough to even test out all the changes, I only got around to the automatic album art add-on, and checking the various better settings.

I'd suggest asking the repackaging author in that thread since he should know the correct answer.

I'll do that, if you get it going in the meantime, let me know.

Cheers.

• Moderators
I had already uninstalled it after just fiddling with a bit. Like you I'm set in my ways, and my way is Exact Audio Copy.

I'm using that now, but I wish I knew why those files vanished. It's gonna remain one of lifes mysteries.