Windows Media Player 11

craigathus

Hi all B)

In the options for "Windows Media Player 11" security tab, content, there are 4 check boxes.

The only one that is checked is "Run scrip commands and rich media streams when the Player is in a web page"

Is this the default setting?

While talking about scripts/scripting, this is a nice utility to prevent script files from running on your system (without being alerted about it): http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/sdefend.htm

AnalogX Script Defender will intercept any request to execute the most common scripting types used in virus attacks...

It doesn't run in the background. It just change the script file types to open with Script Defender, so you are alerted when a (potentially dangerous) script file is executed. EDIT: (or more precisely, when a request to execute is made.)

• Moderators
How's that? I haven't got such a problems and i have been using it for years.

It was probably something on my system causing it which would be the only explanation. I do know that if you update or install Windows Script Host that it will disable those script blocking programs, which means one has to reinstall AVX ScriptWall if that happens.

I am not familiar with Script Defender, but I was wondering how you use it? Once it's installed, is it automatically "active" and running in the system tray -- or do you have to launch it -- or what?

I think you said it doesn't run in the background, so how do you activate it and know it's running and doing what it's supposed to do? And what actually happens when a script is intercepted -- are you notified, is it blocked or are you given some options????

Sorry for all the questions -- just a little curious.

Open sdefend.exe (C:\Program Files\AnalogX\Script Defender), then press "Install interceps" and after that "Done". You can test it with test.vbs. When a request to execute is made, you get a warning message. Just hit "Abort" to cancel request or "Execute the script" to apply it.

• Moderators
Once it's installed, is it automatically "active" and running in the system tray -- or do you have to launch it -- or what?

Some of them register themselves to take over the action of the script instead of launching Windows Scripting. "They're sort of like a firewall" for scripts that allow you to decide if you'll let a script run or not. AVX ScriptWall is somewhat different in that it will block and notify you about a script that seems suspicious or that is about to modify something it deems "risky."

From what I've seen most of them don't have to be running at all, it's the launching of a script that makes them resident, and then they disappear again until needed.

Note: If you use allot of trusted scripts they can be a nuisance, however if you don't use script files all that often they can offer an additional layer of protection - however a good antivirus software will detect a malicious script even if it doesn't have a "script blocking" feature.

They can be easily changed to the default behaviour of Edit instead of Run. I've been using this McAfee .reg file called VBSFix for years, of course I've also went the extra mile and changed the default behaviour of .JS files and other scripts to also open in Notepad with Edit instead of allowing the scripts to directly Run. If you want to use a script that you trust you would have to right click it and select Run from the shell menu, or you could create a shortcut to automatically load the script with %windir%\system32\wscript.exe so something that you trust could look like this via a shortcut parameter:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscript.exe" "C:\Trusted Scripts\Trusted Script.vbs"

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Uncheck it. That option can be considered as a security threat.

Hi CeeCee B)

If I uncheck it, dose that mean that "Windows Media Player" can't be used when it is needed? while viewing a web page that has video or audio content available.

Not at all.

I've had that unchecked ever since applying WMP Scripting Fix and Windows Media Player will still stream an mp3 and video with zero problems.

Hi Andavari B)

Dose that mean that I would have to use some kind of scripting procedure? If so, I'm the first to admit that I have little or no knowledge on the subject :unsure: or can I just down load the "WMP Scripting Fix" and uncheck the option in question in WMP?

You can either manually uncheck those scripting options or use that 'WMP Scripting Fix' to do the job.

Why don't you just uncheck it and you're done. ;)

Hi CeeCee B)

Are you saying that I don't need to use "WMP Scripting Fix"? :huh:

You don't have to use it, if you manually uncheck it.

Thanks CeeCee B) It is now unchecked :D