A Question

amorican

Alright here is the deal. Last night I was on my work PC (laptop) during a storm. Lightning hit and fried my PC, as I cannot turn it on. Called the HP guy and we diagnosed and verified it.

My problem is this: as I said, this is my work computer that I foolishly have been very active on sending out resumes and looking at job boards with it very often. I am terrified that when I send my computer in to be worked on, that they will be able to see that I have been looking to move on through looking at my registry (Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, etc.) and the fact that the file "Resume" is right there on the desktop.

This morning I went to work on the problem and successfully was able to remove the hard drive and place it into an enclosure kit. I ran the program on my roommates computer and was able to access my desktop on the work hard drive as well as a few other important things like cookies. What I couldn't do was clear my registry. I downloaded C CLEANER, but all I could get it to do was clear the registry on my roomate's PC, not on the extra external drive that I was accessing through his PC. I am paranoid and I really need to clear that registry. If any of you could let me know if this is possible with this program or any other, please do. I am up s**t creek as they say.

• Moderators

Wow that sucks.

I would not format that drive. If you send it in empty it would look suspicious. What you should do is just go on the drive and delete/move any resumes or whatever you want to keep off the drive. Then go through and clean up all the temp files for IE or whatever browser you were using manually. That should pretty much cover your tracks.

Wow that sucks.

I would not format that drive. If you send it in empty it would look suspicious. What you should do is just go on the drive and delete/move any resumes or whatever you want to keep off the drive. Then go through and clean up all the temp files for IE or whatever browser you were using manually. That should pretty much cover your tracks.

But what about the registry and visited websites? How can I get rid of that?

But what about the registry and visited websites? How can I get rid of that?

The advice RRidgely gave will remove your history of visited websites (as will running CCleaner). You seriously don't need to worry about stuff in your registry.