Dimension 4600 power?

chiliwarrior

Hello,

New user, thank you for the support/product (CCleaner), I think its great!! I make my 15/13 Y/O daughter and son respectively run it on both computers (all accounts) weekly, and I can see a noticable difference afterward!! The thing is, since I first started using the 4600 it has always been slow to respond/download/upload/ with just about any application. Also, since I first used it, the screen flickers. Now I read in another mag. recently that the 4600's were crap and I can believe that statement!! Actually it was a Xmas gift for my son and when I helped him set it up on Xmas day and we wound up having to return it because of the power!! Had I known then what I know now...... Anyway, do the symptoms point in any direction, and if it is power could buying and installing a new power system help? Thank you for reading/responding.

The Dimension 4600 is just a general model designation. The actual configurations could vary quite a bit with respect to processor, memory, hard drive, etc.

Right now, I'm working from a D4600 with P4 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB SATA drive, running Win XP SP2 and, although it's technically obsolete, I don't really notice it being any slower than the newer machines I use. Mind you, I wiped it completely to get rid of all the Dell "free" junk and loaded just what I wanted.

The thing is, since I first started using the 4600 it has always been slow to respond/download/upload/ with just about any application.

You could try this simple tweak if it's a standalone pc.

Open my computer - tools - folder options - view tab - untick the first option which I think is "Always Search For Networked Computers" or similar.

Reboot and see how it goes.

Other than that you could google xp tweaks.

You could try this simple tweak if it's a standalone pc.

Open my computer - tools - folder options - view tab - untick the first option which I think is "Always Search For Networked Computers" or similar.

Reboot and see how it goes.

Other than that you could google xp tweaks.

It is Automatically search for network folders and printers

Well, there you go! :lol:

Hello,

New user, thank you for the support/product (CCleaner), I think its great!! I make my 15/13 Y/O daughter and son respectively run it on both computers (all accounts) weekly, and I can see a noticable difference afterward!! The thing is, since I first started using the 4600 it has always been slow to respond/download/upload/ with just about any application. Also, since I first used it, the screen flickers. Now I read in another mag. recently that the 4600's were crap and I can believe that statement!! Actually it was a Xmas gift for my son and when I helped him set it up on Xmas day and we wound up having to return it because of the power!! Had I known then what I know now...... Anyway, do the symptoms point in any direction, and if it is power could buying and installing a new power system help? Thank you for reading/responding.

Hi chiliwarrior, and welcome back to the forums :). Your problems don't sound at all like a faulty power supply (which is what the magazine article was referencing). If the power supply (PSU) were failing or was simply inadequate, you'd have a much more serious problem on your hands. Though OEMs (such as Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony, and the like) do use cheaper parts to save costs, a power supply will 'let you know' when something has gone awry.

If you want to see a performance increase out of your computer you have several options....

Firstly, how many programs are running? Open up the task manager (right click on the start bar and select task manager) and look in the bottom-left corner. How many processes does it say are running? These things eat up memory, which your computer uses to carry out its tasks. Active antivirus/antispyware programs also take up memory.

Secondly, have you posted a HijackThis! log here recently? Malware can slow down a computer considerably.

Third, what are the specifications of your computer? If you don't know, you can use PC Wizard 2007 to find out: http://www.cpuid.org/download/pcw2007_v173.exe

Let me know and I'll see what we can do to help.

IPB Image

Manufacturer : Dell Dimension DE051

Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp. 0WF887

Chipset : Intel i865GV

Processor : Intel Celeron D 325 @ 2533 MHz

Physical Memory : 256 MB (1 x 256 DDR-SDRAM )

Video Card : Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Device

Hard Disk : ST3802110A (80 GB)

DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C

Monitor Type : F179 - 17 inches

Monitor Type : F179 - 17 inches

Network Card : Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

DirectX : Version 9.0c

Thank you all for your responses. Every response gave me something! Awsome response everyone. I actually went ahead and used my 100.00 Best Buy gift cert. and bought their bottom line power source "Dynex 400 watt". The supply in the above was 250 watt and the Dynex 400 made our system run alot better, not very good but much better. The computer "processor" must be good to be draining that much power to cause alot of "system is not responding". That is the response I got with the Chinese made 250 watt power supply the most. I do watch what ALL users are running and teach them that it will effect the computers preformance if we've too many programs running. Thank you for the notepad and PC wizard, very useful. I am going to try to put a computer together (future project), I hope you all are atround then. Again thank you for your kindness.