Vista Open With List

AliceZ

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but thought I would submit it.

We ran Issues scan the past few nights before closing down our notebook, and notice a few times in the "Issues" there was the following:

Problem: Unused File Extenstion

Data: Open With List

Registry Key: HKCU\Softwre\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\FileExt\Open With List\

We keep deleting it (in CCleaner), but then a day or two later, we see it again when we run CCleaner again and look in Issues after a scan.

Several folks have said they see the same thing.

Thank you.

• Moderators

Windows XP and it looks like newer versions too will constantly add stuff into the "Explorer\FileExt" area of the registry. I highly doubt it's a CCleaner bug, as multiple registry cleaners find the same stuff.

You can see how relentless Windows is at adding those file extension by opening Notepad and saving some randomly inputted file extension at the end like: Document.somedocument

then that .somedocument extension should be listed as an unused file extension.

Edit: You probably have to save that into a folder then open the folder for it to end up in the registry.

Windows XP and it looks like newer versions too will constantly add stuff into the "Explorer\FileExt" area of the registry. I highly doubt it's a CCleaner bug, as multiple registry cleaners find the same stuff.

You can see how relentless Windows is at adding those file extension by opening Notepad and saving some randomly inputted file extension at the end like: Document.somedocument

then that .somedocument extension should be listed as an unused file extension.

Edit: You probably have to save that into a folder then open the folder for it to end up in the registry.

Forgot to mention that I am using Vista Premium.

I never see the "Registry Key: HKCU\Softwre\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\FileExt\Open With List\" when I run the Registry Scan in my WinXP notebook.

What do we do? Do we just forget about it / ignore it whenever it shows up again? The other folks who see it say they are just ignoring it and deleting it every time it shows up (which, as I said, is every other day).

Should CCleaner folks be made aware of this?

We are not computer literate, so really cannot interpret computer language.