startup nusance

beatlebryce

Everytime I start my computer up now, it goes to the Welcome screen ( I have Windows XP) and it stops. It doesnt freeze, its just waiting for me to click on my username. The thing I dont get is that I am the only user ever on my computer and I dont use a password. I dont remember, but it seems to have started about 1 month ago, quite randomly. How can I make it startup and keep going to my desktop without having to click on my username?

Have you installed .NET Framework 1.1 lately?

If so, might as well as go and get rid of that .NET ASP profile which is hidden on startup screen but visible in user control. I never had any use for it, and if I had understood right, it's only needed for .NET developers. (Actually some times ago there was a update that got rid of it by itself. Doesn't seem to be here anymore though.)

if all else fails, then download TweakUI from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

There is an option to allow you to log in to a user name without hitting that logon screen, using autologon.

That said, I'm the only user on my computer and I don't need to user the tweak in tweakui, Windows just takes me straight into my desktop.

Ah thanks, the first tip actually worked fine, I was just not here to respond these past days. I also read about the .NET framework, and I do have that version, so I will uninstall, cos there are more recent versions on my computer. Robbie, thats how it was for me for about 8 months until about 4 weeks ago. but no worries, problem solved, and cheers to the 3 of you :)

• Moderators
Ah thanks, the first tip actually worked fine, I was just not here to respond these past days. I also read about the .NET framework, and I do have that version, so I will uninstall, cos there are more recent versions on my computer. Robbie, thats how it was for me for about 8 months until about 4 weeks ago. but no worries, problem solved, and cheers to the 3 of you :)

Bit concerned about this, as you need to keep all versions of .NET framework as you upgrade to .NET 2 or .Net 3.

Unlike Java, they are designed to work together, for want of a better description. If you've uninstalled .NET 1.1, I'd suggest reinstalling it.

Bit concerned about this, as you need to keep all versions of .NET framework as you upgrade to .NET 2 or .Net 3.

Unlike Java, they are designed to work together, for want of a better description. If you've uninstalled .NET 1.1, I'd suggest reinstalling it.

Whew! As soon as I read this, I got worried that I had actually deleted it, cos I remember I was about to. I'm glad that i didnt go through with it lol :rolleyes: . I got all 3 .NET frameworks going, so its all good.

• Moderators
Whew! As soon as I read this, I got worried that I had actually deleted it, cos I remember I was about to. I'm glad that i didnt go through with it lol :rolleyes: . I got all 3 .NET frameworks going, so its all good.

If you had, it wouldn't have been anything too serious. From other peoples experience, I think you would have started coming across software or web pages that didn't run or work properly, and then just reinstalling .NET 1.1 would have fixed it.

Pleased everythings good.

:)

You have .NET 1.1 and 2.0 and 3.0?

I'm just curious, why did you install 3.0?

IPB Image

• Moderators

If you don't mind me putting my twopenneth in Jago, probably the same reason I did. I think it came down as an update.

I think a lot of people install ms updates without knowing what they are, myself included, and just trust that ms knows what they're doing. :blink:

As it happens, I uninstalled it shortly after, because something started grabbing a lot of CPU resource, which disappeared after I had uninstalled it. Otherwise it would still be there.

Well, I actually downloaded it manually, because some program needed it. I forget which now, but its caused no problems for me, so its still here in mine.

As for windows updates, I wish I was only so lucky to be able to have them when they came out. Something about me having a non-genuine version or something along those lines is apparently not allowing me any updates when they first come out :rolleyes: . FUnny thing is, I may not have a genuine copy, but I still get updates about once every month or so, and at least 5-8 a time. Looks like Microsoft cant piracy very well :P .

And I don't either, but it was my only choice. I had bought a legitmate copy of XP, but it was an upgrade disk. My hard drive had failed and I got a new one. Obviously an OS was needed. I had a cd of XP pro, and i intended to "downgrade" it, because my upgrade disk was for XP Home. Well, it wouldnt let me install Home (my legit version) and so it was that or nothing. I saw absolutely no reason to have to buy a legit copy when technically I already had one. It's not like I had a job, and my money could not be spent on another OS disk. It may not seem fair for me to "rip off" MS like that, but what about the fact that my already purchased disk is unusable. I dont think I should have to buy a new one cos of that. Thats unfair.