How to Clear Cookies

Aeneas

• Moderators

Hello Aeneas and welcome to the forum :)

Are you using the beta version or the 1.41 version?

XP or vista?

Have you actually used CCleaner yet and it hasn't deleted your cookies, is that what you mean?

By the way, you could have a read here, most things apply the same but I'm sure there will be a new one when the beta version comes out of beta.

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello Aeneas and welcome to the forum :)

Are you using the beta version or the 1.41 version?

XP or vista?

Have you actually used CCleaner yet and it hasn't deleted your cookies, is that what you mean?

By the way, you could have a read here, most things apply the same but I'm sure there will be a new one when the beta version comes out of beta.

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

I am using the latest Beta version of CCleaner and my system is Windows XP. I can delete cookies using the Tools facility in Windows but thought I would try CCleaners method to see if it was easier. I clicked on "Cookies "under "Options" and selected the cookies I wished to delete by moving them to the delete panel. However, having selected the cookies I don't know what to do to actually delete them. Is there another operation eg another button or panel that I must click on once I have selected the cookies I want to get rid of?

• Moderators

All you have to do to delete cookies that are listed in the cookies to delete section is to open CCleaner, and you will see the big paint brush is selected, just press the analyse button and then the run cleaner button.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

All you have to do to delete cookies that are listed in the cookies to delete section is to open CCleaner, and you will see the big paint brush is selected, just press the analyse button and then the run cleaner button.

Thanks. That is what I thought I should do and I have already attempted it. But when I click on the analyse button what comes up is a list of cookies for sites that I have just visited, not the cookies in the "Cookies to Delete" panel.

To be clear here are the steps I have taken

1. Open CCleaner and click on "Options"

2. Select cookies to be deleted and use arrow to move them to "Cookies to Delete" panel

3. Return to main menu and select paint brush

4. Select "Windows", "Internet Explorer" and "Cookies"; I have ensured that there is a green tick in the IE and Cookies boxes

5. Click on "Analyse". What happens then is that recently visited sites are shown under the heading "Details of Files to be Deleted". There is nothing at all about the cookies I have selected in "Options". If I click on "Cleaner" I loose the cookies relating to the recently visited sites.

6. When I return to "Options" and "Cookies" the list of cookies in the "Cookies to Delete" panel is unchanged.

I guess there is still a step somewhere I am missing?

• Moderators

There is no need to go into the options and select the cookies to delete, the process of analyse and run cleaner will do this.

This is really just an area where you move items from the "cookies to delete" side to the "cookies to keep" side so that you don't have to log onto forums you go, to such as this one, as you have told CCleaner you want to keep the cookie.

When you say you are selecting the cookies and then moving them over via the arrow to the delete side, this must mean they were in the "cookies to keep" area in the first place?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

There is no need to go into the options and select the cookies to delete, the process of analyse and run cleaner will do this.

This is really just an area where you move items from the "cookies to delete" side to the "cookies to keep" side so that you don't have to log onto forums you go, to such as this one, as you have told CCleaner you want to keep the cookie.

When you say you are selecting the cookies and then moving them over via the arrow to the delete side, this must mean they were in the "cookies to keep" area in the first place?

Correct. I have used the arrows in Options to create two panels. One with about 50 "cookies to keep" and the other with 100 or more "cookies to delete". My problem is I can't delete the cookies in the delete panel. When I run analyse and the cleaner, as described in my last message, the programme deletes my 15 or so most recent cookies but the 100 plus cookies are still showing in the delete panel. ( I presume that when the cleaner works it removes the deleted cookies from the list of cookies in the delete panel). I have also checked using Windows, Tools, Internet Options, Setting facility and find that the cookies in the delete column are still there.

You have been very patient, but I hope I have described the problem clearly enough.

• Moderators

Looks like you'll have to be added to the list here Aeneas

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=11688

It's obvious that MrG the developer is aware of this problem know so keep watching as they say :)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Looks like you'll have to be added to the list here Aeneas

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=11688

It's obvious that MrG the developer is aware of this problem know so keep watching as they say :)

1. Thanks. It looks like a more general problem if other people are experiencing the same difficulties.

2.You might want to be aware that there may be a related problem in connection with temporary internet files. I have also found that the cleaner will not identify and clean these files and that I have to use the windows facility under Internet Options. This is not a great chore but unfortunately it does raise questions about the reliability of the Beta version. We know that Beta is not doing the job on cookies and temporary internet files because Windows Internet Options allows us to check it out. But we don't know if it is working properly or not on other programmes, for example index.dat files.

3. One additional issue that your developer might like to know. When I delete cookies using Windows they are removed from the "Cookies to Delete" list in CCleaner. This is what one would expect. However if, using Windows, I delete a cookie in the "Cookies to Keep" window the cookie is not removed from that window. In other words CCleaner thinks it is keeping a cookie that I have already deleted.

I have exactly the same problem on Vista with the latest version - 2.0.XXX Have been using CCleaner for several years now, so I know how it SHOULD work, but it continues to show several cookies in the Options/Cookies/Cookies to delete pane, but running CCleaner does not indicate they will be deleted, nor does it delete them. Strange thing is that I cannot find these cookies on my system. File search doesn't help and they are not in my Users\(user name)\Cookies folder, either. Looked in every 'Cookies' folder I could find in Vista, but I must be missing one somewhere.

Shodan, have you got "show hidden files and folders" option turned on?

Yes, indeed. That's about the first thing I changed when I got this laptop. And I just ran into another issue, as well. Trying to add either files or folders under Options/Exclude. I can add files and/or folders OK, but as soon as I click off of that option page and then back again, it's wiped clean. Since there is no 'Set' or 'Store' on that page, I am assuming entries should keep until they are deleted by the user. Using Vista/Business. Can someone else with Vista please confirm this behavior ?

Yes, indeed. That's about the first thing I changed when I got this laptop. And I just ran into another issue, as well. Trying to add either files or folders under Options/Exclude. I can add files and/or folders OK, but as soon as I click off of that option page and then back again, it's wiped clean. Since there is no 'Set' or 'Store' on that page, I am assuming entries should keep until they are deleted by the user. Using Vista/Business. Can someone else with Vista please confirm this behavior ?

I have solved the problem by going back to an earlier version of CCleaner.

Good advice, indeed. As much as I would like to keep V2, it's just not 'there' yet, at least on Vista. I will continue to run 1.41.544 until the next beta 2 is released, then try again. The older version handles cookies like a champ. The only thing I miss is V2's ability to exclude folders from folder or file deletion. That is one cool improvement. I'll install the next beta release, and those after that, just to see what has been fixed or not. Thanks again ! !