IE7 Updates

Anthony A

Well this POS IE7 has just added another two updates and my install is over 100 MB which is totally unacceptable for any browser let alone a piece of garbage like IE7. There is no need for these updates to be huge like this. Firefox updates regularly and no bulk is added to the browser. Now it appears that MS keeps the IE7 download up to date so if you were to install IE7 today from their site you would have the most updated version that includes all the patches but it will install at about 20MB which is what my install was originally at back in October. I don't see why the updates are averaging 20MB.

My question is does the updates folder need to be there? If I deleter the updates in the folder in C:/Windows/IE7 Updates would the browser still be patched? I read some where that people have deleted these and no problems. The browser appeared to be updated still because Windows Updates never informed these people that their browser was in need of updates. It would have if the updates had been removed. Anybody here deleting this folder or the updates in it?

• Moderators
My question is does the updates folder need to be there? If I deleter the updates in the folder in C:/Windows/IE7 Updates would the browser still be patched? I read some where that people have deleted these and no problems. The browser appeared to be updated still because Windows Updates never informed these people that their browser was in need of updates. It would have if the updates had been removed. Anybody here deleting this folder or the updates in it?

I don't use IE7 however if you plan on deleting that folder it may be wise to first create a System Restore Point and even ZIP that whole folder just in case something goes wrong. You may also want to make sure that any registry cleaners you use that you create a backup in case they delete registry references to that folder. Just giving you an undo plan if something goes wrong in deleting that folder.

I don't use IE7 however if you plan on deleting that folder it may be wise to first create a System Restore Point and even ZIP that whole folder just in case something goes wrong. You may also want to make sure that any registry cleaners you use that you create a backup in case they delete registry references to that folder. Just giving you an undo plan if something goes wrong in deleting that folder.

Worst case scenario I just reinstall IE7. Than I would have the browser fully patched because I would be using the current download from their site and it wouldn't be 100+ MB.

Last month I installed IE7 on a relatives machine for them. It installed at about 20MB just like mine did in October. I than went to the Windows update site and checked for updates. I was expecting several for IE 7 because I have had several since I installed it on my Machines. I was surprised there were no updates for IE7. I can only assume that the current version from the IE7 download page is up to date an includes the patches that have been released since I installed my version in October. Tuesday I asked my relatives if they received the updates for IE7 and they say yes and of course it's huge like they always are. Their IE7 Update folder only contains the last update and mine has like 6 and going over 100 MB yet our browsers are both fully patched. It's obvious to me MS can patch the browser without these ridiculously huge updates. The version on their web site is up to date but will install at 20 MB with all the updates in it. So I am wondering why there is an update folder with 100MB of $hit in it and what would happen if I deleted the updates in it?

• Moderators
Worst case scenario I just reinstall IE7. Than I would have the browser fully patched because I would be using the current download from their site and it wouldn't be 100+ MB.

I wouldn't pretend to know too much about this Anthony, but I think you've answered your own question.

Mucking about with an old install when you can simply bin it completely, and I mean completely, and start afresh with a new install, just seems to be the logical thing to do.

I've changed Firefox versions recently, and on a few occasions previously, and whether technically advisable or not, I always remove every trace of the version I'm binning. That really means every trace of it on my pc. The only thing I keep, is a backup of the bookmarks.

I get fresh versions of all the add ons (only 3 this time), and reset all prefs etc again.

EDIT: Pressed the wrong button before I was finished, ;) but I think you probably get my way of thinking, although I know you can't be as extreme with IE, you can roll back to IE6 and reinstall IE7. I did that once quite some time back.

I wouldn't pretend to know too much about this Anthony, but I think you've answered your own question.

Mucking about with an old install when you can simply bin it completely, and I mean completely, and start afresh with a new install, just seems to be the logical thing to do.

I've changed Firefox versions recently, and on a few occasions previously, and whether technically advisable or not, I always remove every trace of the version I'm binning. That really means every trace of it on my pc. The only thing I keep, is a backup of the bookmarks.

I get fresh versions of all the add ons (only 3 this time), and reset all prefs etc again.

EDIT: Pressed the wrong button before I was finished, ;) but I think you probably get my way of thinking, although I know you can't be as extreme with IE, you can roll back to IE6 and reinstall IE7. I did that once quite some time back.

The problem is that IE7 is working fine, well as fine as IE7 can work ;) , and other than getting rid of the bulk in the update folder the fresh install is not going to benefit me. There is also the fact that once installed you know Microsoft will update this thing regularly and before long it will be a bloated piece of junk again.

I have been searching the net trying to find some info on this update folder and if it's safe to get rid of the contents. It is getting out of hand. Anybody that installed IE7 back in October or earlier should have about 6 or 7 20+mb updates in there by now.

• Moderators

Although I use Firefox, I've just had a look in my IE7 update folder, and it's 41mb.

Even if I'm not using IE, I must still get all the updates simply by running ms update. I never discard anything because my daughter uses IE7.

Why isn't mine bigger? And I'm not complaining, just puzzled. It was months and months ago when I rolled back and reinstalled IE7.

Although I use Firefox, I've just had a look in my IE7 update folder, and it's 41mb.

Even if I'm not using IE, I must still get all the updates simply by running ms update. I never discard anything because my daughter uses IE7.

Why isn't mine bigger? And I'm not complaining, just puzzled. It was months and months ago when I rolled back and reinstalled IE7.

I installed it in October/November time frame and every update has been installed.

• Moderators

Is that IE7 Updates folder a compressed folder, doesn't look like it from the screenshot? I'm just wondering how much disk space you could "save" if it were compressed like what MS envokes upon all those NTUninstall folders for hotfixes.

• Moderators
Here is a screen shot of the IE7 update folder on one of my machines. They all look like this though. Anybody else have this bloat crap? Combined with the IE7 install it's over 100MB.

2007-08-18_173118.jpg.xs.jpg

Just took this of mine Anthony, only 3 folders, 41mb, and each folder says "spunist" when moused over.

And they were all hidden.

EDIT: Forgot the flaming link.

168fs582441_th.jpg

Is that IE7 Updates folder a compressed folder, doesn't look like it from the screenshot? I'm just wondering how much disk space you could "save" if it were compressed like what MS envokes upon all those NTUninstall folders for hotfixes.

No it's not compressed. The thing is every update is huge and it's out of hand. Microsoft is keeping the download of IE7 up to date on the download site but it is no where near the bulk. If you were to download it it would be about 20MB installed and fully patched. Than of course on the next update, and I'm sure there will hundreds more, it will be 20+ MB like all the others have been. Now as retarded as Microsoft is I can't believe they are this stupid. I wonder if this folder is safe to clean after the updates are installed?

These updates when opened appear to be identical. This seems redundant to me. Here is a screen shot of two updates opened side by side. They look very similar if not identical.

2007-08-18_192115.jpg.xs.jpg

Just took this of mine Anthony, only 3 folders, 41mb, and each folder says "spunist" when moused over.

And they were all hidden.

EDIT: Forgot the flaming link.

168fs582441_th.jpg

If you look Dennis you will see that I have all the updates you do plus some from earlier probably because I installed IE7 before you or you have reinstalled recently. The point is you and me and everybody else are getting massive updates for this monstrosity of a browser and will continue to do so. It will get even more ridiculous. Since the current download of the browser appears to be fully patched yet has not increased in size ( still 20MB installed) I have to wonder how necessary these files are?

You can delete them but obviously rollback is not going to happen unless you do a system wide sys restore.

If you actually compare the number of IE7 fixes against competitors, IE7 does very well. In fact on the Vista platform IE7 is the most secure browser available. I have the firefox alpha 3 as well and it doesnt match all of the security features that IE7 has on Vista. As well, Firefox takes more mouse clicking and general UI effort to run than IE7 for common tasks. Ofcourse the implementation of Gecko 1.9 into FF3 alpha means passing the acid2 test which IE7 does not.

You can delete them but obviously rollback is not going to happen unless you do a system wide sys restore.

If you actually compare the number of IE7 fixes against competitors, IE7 does very well.

I'm not looking to roll back. Just want to delete the bloat.

I'm not complaining about the number of fixes. It's the size of them that is an issue. They are ridiculous. I have not trouble seeing IE7 at a couple hundred MB in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not looking to roll back. Just want to delete the bloat.

I'm not complaining about the number of fixes. It's the size of them that is an issue. They are ridiculous. I have not trouble seeing IE7 at a couple hundred MB in the near future.

Remembered you posting about this so thought I'd give an update from my end. I've deleted the contents of the IE7 Updates folder with no ill effects. But also deleted the contents of the IE7 folder too with no ill effects after reading this from Bold Fortunes slimming XP guide (LINK):

C:\WINDOWS\ie7 (Installed by Internet Explorer 7.)

I delete the ie7 folder and its contents.

The ie7 folder contains the necessary files for the uninstallation of Internet Explorer 7. You can uninstall IE7 through the Add/Remove Programs window, but the ie7 folder and its contents must be present in order to do so.

This folder and its contents has absolutely nothing to do with Internet Explorer 7 being in good working order. If you are certain you won't need to uninstall IE7, then by all means, delete the ie7 folder and its contents.

Remembered you posting about this so thought I'd give an update from my end. I've deleted the contents of the IE7 Updates folder with no ill effects. But also deleted the contents of the IE7 folder too with no ill effects after reading this from Bold Fortunes slimming XP guide (LINK):

C:\WINDOWS\ie7 (Installed by Internet Explorer 7.)

I delete the ie7 folder and its contents.

The ie7 folder contains the necessary files for the uninstallation of Internet Explorer 7. You can uninstall IE7 through the Add/Remove Programs window, but the ie7 folder and its contents must be present in order to do so.

This folder and its contents has absolutely nothing to do with Internet Explorer 7 being in good working order. If you are certain you won't need to uninstall IE7, then by all means, delete the ie7 folder and its contents.

Wow very interesting. I to have deleted the IE7 update folder contents with no ill effects but I was under the impression that the C:\WINDOWS\ie7 folder was the install directory and was needed to run IE7. There is a folder in C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer I guess that is the install directory but it doesn't seem like it from the contents.

2007-09-11_183710.jpg

So the IE7 folder is for uninstalling and IE7 updates are back ups of the install after every update. Microcrap must think they own your hard drive space and can fill it with what ever crap they feel like. I already felt that IE7 was a bloated piece of junk but now that I know most of the crap is unnecessary I really feel that way.

Obviously you didn't! read it the first time or we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Hey man what are you talking about? You said after running ATF and CCleaner issues you had "absolutely ZERO" in IE7 Updates . I'm saying that had nothing to do with running CCleaner.

Wow very interesting. I to have deleted the IE7 update folder contents with no ill effects but I was under the impression that the C:\WINDOWS\ie7 folder was the install directory and was needed to run IE7. There is a folder in C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer I guess that is the install directory but it doesn't seem like it from the contents.

Yeah I found that strange too - no IE folders in Windows now and only a 2Mb folder in program files. But it's still working :huh: