pictures not viewable after recovery

genesis

using Recuva 1.03.100 with excellent recover listed. The recover was complete however, using windows xp, windows picture viewer, adobe photo shop and windows viewer and fax, I was not able to see the pictures. They appear in the file as a jpg file but when using the picture viewer as I use for other pictures, the message appeared unable to view pictures.

any suggestions.

Scott

• Moderators

The state of the file as shown by Recuva should not necessarily be taken as gospel, it's the best estimate the Recuva software can make of the prospects for recovery. It looks as if your files have been overwritten in part or whole since they were deleted. In this case recovery will not be possible, or should I say recovery to as deleted condition will not be possible.

Rgds.

• Moderators

I'm lucky, insofar as I've never had to try to recover anything, especially important or prized photos for example.

If genesis has actually appeared to have recovered some pics, and although they appear to be jpegs, but will not load into the usual image viewers, is there:

A: Any software (free) that will repair a damaged jpeg as far as it's possible to do this? I've found stacks of commercial and shareware apps by googling that purport to be able to do this. Or..

B: Any Image Editing software such as Photofiltre, Photoscape, Photoplus6 etc that may view them when other programs fail?

Probably sounds a bit desperate, but I'd clutch at straws if I'd lost some valuable pics. ;)

EDIT: I'll provide links for these if anyone thinks it may work.

• Moderators
If genesis has actually appeared to have recovered some pics, and although they appear to be jpegs, but will not load into the usual image viewers, is there:

I had the same exact problem when I tried Recuva ultra briefly then uninstalled it however in the time I had it installed it recovered some jpg's from drive C:\ to drive D:\ that it stated were fully recoverable. However Paint.NET, MS Paint, etc., couldn't open any of them so I was thinking in my case maybe:

• These aren't really jpg's after all and the shown file extension is for something else.

• Perhaps they're jpg's missing some header info (if jpg's have header info, I don't really know).

• 12 years later...

i also have the same problem. My jpg files have a size listed but the dimensions in properties say 0x0.

I have tried several picture viewers and also jpeg repair without being able to view one picture.

The drive has not been written on since they were deleted using shift delete

I also tried R-Undelete but had trouble trying to use it so no sucess with that either.

I lost about 50Gb of photos and didn't even try to recover the 80Gb of video

• Augeas locked this topic