What is your Security Setup

Humpty

Returnil

FF with Noscript runs through Sandboxie

PC Tools Firewall for outbounds, as I have a hardware firewall.

Winpatrol for other areas control which isn't really needed but I like this little app.

This is my setup for both my XP and Vista installs.

Run an online scan with Kasperky or one of the others every now and then for a checkup with nothing ever being found as yet.

• Moderators

Returnil (too)

FF with NoScript (too)

PC Firewall Plus (too) and hardware firewall soon (making my apartment wireless)

AntiVir Premium, also have ClamWin

SUPERAntiSpyware Pro Real-time Protection

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

Sygate Personal Firewall

Avast! Home Edition (Beside basic Standard Shield, there's also Network Shield running.)

SpywareBlaster

Opera browser

Not really a security, but Ad Muncher (Ad blocker).

XP itself also made safer, i.e. by disabling some system services and that way closing some hazardous ports. You know, XP is not very safe with default settings. <_<

AV: Avast Home, DrWeb Cureit on demand.

FW Comodo

Immunizing: SpywareBlaster, Spybot bad blocker, MVPS Hosts file.

Tweaks (security and performance related) Services disabled according to This guy (Selective)

SpywareTerminator (resident)

SAS, Asquared, AVG AS, Spybot (demand)

CCleaner

Various antirootkit (demand)

Secunia (online) software inspector, monthly or thereabouts.

Maybe a bit OTT, but I've been malware free since using these. No noticeable performance hit.

• Moderators

• Moderators
Why don't you use any decent 3rd party firewall? Or do you got hardware firewall?

I've literally tried just about every 3rd party firewall that has a free edition available, and they all have bugs which also doesn't make them "decent" in my book, so I don't bother with them anymore - I'm done testing them, installing them, and configuring them. Windows Firewall passes outside intrusions with no problems from the few test sites that are available.

As long as my system is kept clean there's really no need for a 3rd party two-way firewall, plus something that starts with the system isn't going to very easily get by me unnoticed (eluding to if malware was ever present). I don't have a hardware firewall as of yet, been meaning to get one though.

• Moderators

Windows Firewall.

Antivir Free. (which includes rootkit scanner).

Returnil. (brilliant for trying new software as well).

Powershadow. (not used so much since getting Returnil).

AVG Antirootkit.

SpywareBlaster.

Spybot S&D.

MVPS.org Hosts File.

McAfee Site Advisor.

Common Sense. Free.

Edit: Java disabled.

Antivari, how long have you used Dr. Web AV Link Checker? I have looked at this before, but for some reason decided against it? Do you find it at all cumbersome or annoying -- or is it pretty beneign? Once the plugin is installed, is everything checked, or do you have the option?

• Moderators
Antivari, how long have you used Dr. Web AV Link Checker? I have looked at this before, but for some reason decided against it? Do you find it at all cumbersome or annoying -- or is it pretty beneign? Once the plugin is installed, is everything checked, or do you have the option?

I don't remember how long I've been using it, at least six months maybe a year I don't really know when I started using it however I do remember starting to use it after Hazelnut posted about it sometime last year and I've been using it ever since.

It isn't cumbersome nor is it annoying, it's really straight forward. Once installed you just right click a link which could be a website address or an .exe, and .mp3 or whatever and it will scan it. I typically forget it's installed though, so I hardly use it but on those ultra rare occasions that I remember I have it installed.

For me I guess it's sort of redundant but I've kept it installed. It's redundant because I always right click and scan any downloaded file anyways with the installed antivirus, including any MP3's. It does however come in useful (I think) if a new forum member I don't trust yet is posting links to something I don't know about, I'll typically scan the website link before visiting it but it doesn't work on all websites for some reason or another and can't scan all of them.

Edit: The Firefox version has never given me any problems. However the Internet Explorer version used to crash Internet Explorer more often than not, therefore I don't use the Internet Explorer version anymore.

AV

PC-cillin 2006 (desktop)

Avast (laptop)

Antivir PE on-demand (both)

AS

PC-cillin 2006 (desktop)

SUPERAntiSpyware Free (both)

ewido micro (both)

Firewall

Linksys WRT54G (w/o encryption guess why!)

PC-cillin 2006 (desktop)

Jetico Personal Firewall 1 (laptop) (having weird issues in CPF saying that it is installed, but it's not)

Virtualization

PowerShadow 2.6 (laptop) and 2.8.2 (desktop)

Sandboxie (desktop)

HIPS

Neoava Guard

Others that I'm too lazy to deeply classify

Spyware Blaster

MVPS Host File

Firefox (Adblock Plus, McAfee SiteAdvisor, CustomizeGoogle)

Opera (lots of things in the blocked sites, and changes in the settings)

Not sure I need virtualization given where I surf, however, having said that I'm probably in overkill mode already!

Linksys WRT54GS Router with firewall enabled

Following licensed and enabled:

NOD32

Spy Sweeper

AVG Anti-Spyware

Spyware Doctor from a work license but not enabled

Freeware:

Comodo Firewall

BOClean

Windows Defender

Hard ware firewall in my router

Windows Firewall

AVG AV

On demand scanners,

AVG AS

SAS

Spybot

Ad-Aware

Windows defender

A-squared (not so much any more. This program is being updated almost weekly since they released the new version. Wasn't ready for prime time and shouldn't have been released to the public in it's present form.)

Blacklight Anti Root-kit

Panda Anti Root-Kit

Online scanners,

Bitdefender

ESET (NOD32)

Computer Associates (Etrust)

All free except maybe Powershadow is not now.

Comodo Firewall

AVG antivirus

AVG Antispy

AVG Anti-Rootkit

SuperAntiSpyware

XoftSpySE

SpywareBlaster

Adaware 1.06

Spybot S&D

SpywareGuard. . . :P

Returnil

PowerShadow

edit: forgot SandBoxie

Plus, I live and work in a basement. . . :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Heres is my list. Apart form spywareguard, AVG anti-virus and the firewall programs, nothing else loads at start up or runs "real time".

AVG anti virus (Free)

SpwareGuard

SpywareBlaster

SpyBot search and destroy

Adaware 1.06r1

Rogue remover

Super anti spyware free edition

Windows Vista Firewall

Vista Firewall control

...and a whole heap of Firefox addons..

I use system restore as a "Returnil" backup. Not sure how advisable that is, but it hasn't let me down yet.

I keep them all upto date, and run them once every few weeks.

• Moderators
I use system restore as a "Returnil" backup. Not sure how advisable that is, but it hasn't let me down yet.

System Restore can sometimes cause more problems than it solves, and I always cringe when it states it couldn't restore the system to the previous state - that's why I rely upon ERUNT.

I have looked into Erunt and installed it. It looks good.

I'm a bit confused though. If Erunt only backs up the registry, wouldn't you still be left with the programs/system files that caused the problem in the first place after you had restored it? Could you then just delete/unistall the offending files as normal even if the registry settings don't tally with the system files.?

Granted System restore can cause problems but if it works, its as if the problem file never exsisted - not a trace.

Excuse my ignorance :huh:

• Moderators
System Restore can sometimes cause more problems than it solves, and I always cringe when it states it couldn't restore the system to the previous state - that's why I rely upon ERUNT.

The three last occasions I've tried System Restore, today being the latest, I've been told that my system hasn't changed.

I tried to go back a month, having installed half a dozen apps since then, but it wouldn't have it.

I'd like to disable it this time, as there's no benefit coming from it.

Is there any other purpose to system restore apart from not restoring your system?

;)