Eraser

chronos55

Version 5.84 of Eraser now available at major geeks or heidi computers.Works on windows vista,however right click on recycle bin to erase shows all erasing options.The eraser forum suggests removing them via the registry,i think it must be a bug.Apologies to hazelnut for posting in wrong forum.

I downloaded the latest version and doubleclicked it. A DOS box opened with the following error message.

166fs184676.jpg

Is it my Vista system or the program? :huh:

i downloaded mine from heidi computers,32 bit version double clicked and it installed ok.it appears to extract itself to C:\ Program Data,and then install to its own folder.No problems and i am using vista.

• Moderators
I downloaded the latest version and doubleclicked it. A DOS box opened with the following error message.

166fs184676.jpg

Is it my Vista system or the program? :huh:

If yours is a 64 bit vista it may be your system

Recent versions of Windows NT for 64 bit architectures, including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (x86-64) , Windows XP 64-bit Edition (IA-64), Windows Server 2003 (x64) and Windows Vista (x64), no longer include the NTVDM and can therefore no longer run MS-DOS (or 16-bit Windows) applications.

Another possiblity is a corrupt NTVDM file.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Found the problem. The setup file size was no where near what it should have been. The download never completed sucessfully.

I wonder why I didn't get a warning? The only way I could tell was by right clicking the file and selecting properties.

The program works well, although I find it a bit clumsy to use. You always seem to have to use the file menus or right click options, rather than use icons.

Defineatly going to keep it though, as it seems to work well with Vista.

Me too, I went back to 5.7 after 5.82 trashed Windows

What happened to cause 5.82 to trash windows? Wiping free space? I ask because I am running 5.82.

Thanks for posting that. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

What happened to cause 5.82 to trash windows? Wiping free space? I ask because I am running 5.82.

I just used the "First and last 2 bytes" option to erase a large folder of pics. It was the first time I've ever used that function as the 1 pass erase is fast enough usually but for speed I used the first/last 2 bytes option to erase this one folder. Restarted my computer and got the message "Missing operating system"

I posted on their forums but they weren't interested so I shall be sticking with 5.7 as I don't want any version of a software on my computer with such a dangerous option in it. It may have been a one off, it may have just been a freak happening on my system but I'm not taking the risk of leaving version 5.82 on my computer.