MSIE, custom location and index.dat file

Claudio

Hello, following my post on problems with Firefox and custom cache location (that I least I can circumvent) I found one that I can't fix.

The objective of moving the cache was to free space on the system partition where the operating system resides.

Oh, well, in MSIE it's rather easy to change the cache location, since it's done in the Options dialog. Now it resides under

J:\cache\msie\

and IE created automatically

J:\cache\msie\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Here I found another index.dat as expected. Interestingly, CCleaner picks the custom cache location automatically but it doesn't touch index.dat!

I checked with one of Mark Russinovich freewares (pendmoves.exe) and CCleaner is not scheduling this index.dat for deleting at reboot time.

If I put it into the custom files (with full path, of course) I add exactly the aforementioned file

J:\cache\msie\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

but nothing happens after running CCleaner. I understand it's trying to delete the file immediately and obviously it can't and there's no way in this CUSTOM window to tell CCleaner to schedule a deletion at reboot. All deletions are immediate and may fail silently.

Now the question is why CCleaner understood the new IE cache location without manual intervention mine but forgot to apply the proper technique to index.dat; indeed it looks like another bug to me.

C.

• Moderators

Either a bug, or CC is expecting things to be in your user profile folder. I know some of the cleaning routines will fail if things aren't in exact directory locations. You'll probably need the developer to give you a more definite answer though.

[cut]

J:\cache\msie\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

but nothing happens after running CCleaner. I understand it's trying to delete the file immediately and obviously it can't and there's no way in this CUSTOM window to tell CCleaner to schedule a deletion at reboot. All deletions are immediate and may fail silently.

Now the question is why CCleaner understood the new IE cache location without manual intervention mine but forgot to apply the proper technique to index.dat; indeed it looks like another bug to me.

C.

Since "Claudio" sounds like an italian name, may i ask where are you from? :)

I have the same issue with index.dat file since long time, as still reported on this forum.

Wonder if this may be related to Windows versions localized in not-english languages

:unsure:

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

Since "Claudio" sounds like an italian name, may i ask where are you from? :)

I have the same issue with index.dat file since long time, as still reported on this forum.

Wonder if this may be related to Windows versions localized in not-english languages

:unsure:

Claudio is a Spanish name, too.

My Windows 2000 is the English version. The problem is that I started using a custom location for the cache, I think. CCleaner picked the new location automatically, but forgot to give index.dat the special treatment it deserves.

C.

Claudio is a Spanish name, too.

Hola :)

My Windows 2000 is the English version. The problem is that I started using a custom location for the cache, I think. CCleaner picked the new location automatically, but forgot to give index.dat the special treatment it deserves.

C.

Same here. My habit is to keep all temporary internet files in a separate partition of my HD.

CCleaner have always found the new location with no problems, detecting and deleting all crap

as usual. Now (i mean starting from 2 o 3 versions ago) the only file completely missing is index.dat.

I must use another software just for delete the index.dat file, too bad :(

No idea about this 'special treatment' it deserves :huh:

Thanks

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy