"new hardware" dialog after cleaning

After running the cleaner the first time on my Dell Dimension desktop and rebooting the computer it entered the "New Hardware Found" dialog saying that the device "SDDMI2" was found.

I have no idea what this device might be and I had no luck with the autoinstall or trying the device drivers CD that came with the computer - I keep getting "software not found" errors.

I tried doing a restore of the Registry and that made no difference.

I had done quick tests of most of the computer features and don't see anything, yet, that doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Tom

I don't have the cleaner, whatever that is, but I am having the exact same problem on my new Dell system. I found your post because I am searching all over the internet for SDDMI2 and I came across this site. Please let me know if you find out what this is.

After running the cleaner the first time on my Dell Dimension desktop and rebooting the computer it entered the "New Hardware Found" dialog saying that the device "SDDMI2" was found.

I have no idea what this device might be and I had no luck with the autoinstall or trying the device drivers CD that came with the computer - I keep getting "software not found" errors.

I tried doing a restore of the Registry and that made no difference.

I had done quick tests of most of the computer features and don't see anything, yet, that doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Tom

Ok... I'm not sure about you imme, but for tferrio:

Try installing this:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...d=R47822&p=HTTP

If you somehow get lost on the site, the file is:

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.4.04.1007, A11

Release Date: 06/27/2003

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I am having the exact same problem on my Dell after an automatic update that ran last evening.

running xp pro service pack 2 on a newer Dell Dimension 2400

Asset Tag: BHQBW41

Express Service Code: 250-167-555-37

Looking for a solution and this is where Google took me. Not much else out there on the subject otherwise.

I tried the chipset tool, to no avail.

Wow, everyone's on a dell, many on a dimension 2400! Hmm, so obviously it's a pretty specific piece of hardware...

run a search of:

C:\WINDOWS\INF

for the filename:

*.*NF

Containing text:

SDDMI2

Attach any found files so I can see what they belong to. Alternatively (or additionally), use this program and save a log file by going to List, Save to file and post whatever you can find. Thanks!

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

This may sound stupid, but you guys should try installing this next:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R94481.EXE

It's the driver for integrated audio. It's worth a shot. I have a weird hunch about it being AC'97-related, but maybe I'm totally wrong... only one way to find out ;)

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

No Dice,

Wont load those drivers and just looks like a device with a question mark in my device manager.

Brian G.

I had this same problem on a very old Dell the first time I rebooted after installing both the Dell Support Tool (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/dellsupport30?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn) and a minor Windows update. I thought it might be the Support Tool, since I had no trouble with the Windows update on 2 other computers. On searching Dell's support site, I found this thread: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...=157240#M229202, which appears to give a solution if not an answer. If the new version of the Support Tool is causing this, I'm sure there'll be many more forums and tech support entries in a week or so.

I hope this solves your problem.

I had this same problem on a very old Dell the first time I rebooted after installing both the Dell Support Tool (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/dellsupport30?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn) and a minor Windows update. I thought it might be the Support Tool, since I had no trouble with the Windows update on 2 other computers. On searching Dell's support site, I found this thread: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...=157240#M229202, which appears to give a solution if not an answer. If the new version of the Support Tool is causing this, I'm sure there'll be many more forums and tech support entries in a week or so.

I hope this solves your problem.

Hi,

I could have sworn I had tried deleting it and that it came back on re-boot, but after I read the notes in the Dell forum, I deleted it from the device manager device list (as suggested), and rebooted. It's gone!

Thanks You solved the problem (At least for me).

Brian G.

Thanks, everyone, for the active help. This is a great message board!

Since I'm seeing people not using CCleaner having the problem I'll assume it was a freak coincidence that I first saw the problem immediately after running CCleaner.

I "uninstalled" the SDDMI2 device and it did not get "re-found" when I rebooted. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tom

XP "New Hardware Found" dialog says that the device.....

This seems to be a "new feature" of WinXP since approx March issued updates. [when I first noticed it]

I have noticed it on 3 or 4 computers, both XP-home and XP-pro, both new boxes and 12 month old machines.

So far no reason found for this "new feature" of XP.

Have also noticed that previous hidden services are now showing/asking for permission to access web/lan connection via firewall [ZA-free] as well.

Maybe MS is tighting things up a bit [about time], rootkits, hidden process/services are all the rage this year as far as malware goes.

Will try the deleting question marked hardware trick, thanks for the tip.

Mega

** PS; haven't started using CCleaner yet, so it isn't CCleaner causing this problem. It's not happening on my Linux boxes either :-)