Home pages

DennisD

about:blank is the standard name for a blank tab. Open a new tab in IE7 and you'll see about:blank in the address bar ;)

Yup, your right.

A few years ago when Firefox was at version 0.97, I came accross a site which gave you advice/tutorials on the best way to install and set the options on a range of software with relation to privacy and security. Firefox was one.

Setting the homepage to about:blank, and having the cache settings at 0mb, were just two of the options. Setting the config file to "no referer" and turning off Java were amongst the rest.

Most of these options I still implement today - just force of habit. (Spyware guard protects me from any change in my homepage or host files)

Despite my best efforts I can no longer find the website. I am sure the word "blacksmiths" was in the address though... :(

Mine used to be an adult website, but then my mom saw it when she accidentally clicked on the homepage button. :unsure: She wasn't happy. So I changed it to my internet provider's homepage (Road Runner). lol

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

about:blank is the standard name for a blank tab. Open a new tab in IE7 and you'll see about:blank in the address bar ;)

That's what I'm trying to say, the standard tab name is supposed to be "Blank Page." If it says "About Blank" you've been highjacked. It's a fact, look it up on google or any other search engine. :) I had it once and it took a spyware program xoftspyse to get rid of it. My tabs returned to "Blank Page again after using it.." If you have it, you lose control of your homepage, and every time you set your homepage and reboot it again, it changes back to About Blank.

That's what I'm trying to say, the standard tab name is supposed to be "Blank Page." If it says "About Blank" you've been highjacked. It's a fact, look it up on google or any other search engine. :) I had it once and it took a spyware program xoftspyse to get rid of it. My tabs returned to "Blank Page again after using it.." If you have it, you lose control of your homepage, and every time you set your homepage and reboot it again, it changes back to About Blank.

Have a look at the screenshot. In IE the address bar its "about blank" in the tab bar its "blank page"

In Firefox it simply says nothing at all or "untitled" in the tab bar - see second picture.

I'm downloading a film, so ignore the download manager "square" at the centre top of the page

th_32261_Untitled_122_172lo.jpg

and firefox:

th_32368_Untitled2_122_731lo.jpg

I am sure my homepage is not hijacked.

Have a look at the screenshot. In IE the address bar its "about blank" in the tab bar its "blank page"

In Firefox it simply says nothing at all or "untitled" in the tab bar - see second picture.

I am sure my homepage is not hijacked.

That's what I'm saying, in your case it should be "Blank Page" in both address and tab bars in IE.

I know you don't want to hear it, but you've been highjacked. Look it up! I've been through it!

Nothing interesting about mine. I like to start with a blank screen everyday, and then choose where to go.

My home page address is:

about:blank

same as mine, I prefer a blank screen.

Some good suggestions there guys, thanks.

My new home page:

163fs305796_th.jpg

Neat touch is the sky darkening in line with UK time.

If there's any more input, I'll still be looking.

nice to see we're gonna have decent weather Dennis!

Can we have a third party opinion please :rolleyes:

I can't say anything more, except I have used IE about 5 times in the last 5 years...

Well, regardless of how often you use IE, it still doesn't change the fact that it's highjacked. I'm only trying to help ya :) . You just need the right program to get rid of it, that's all.

Well, regardless of how often you use IE, it still doesn't change the fact that it's highjacked. I'm only trying to help ya :) . You just need the right program to get rid of it, that's all.
it's not hijacked. If I type in the same, I get the same result. It's one way of getting a blank page.

it's not hijacked. If I type in the same, I get the same result. It's one way of getting a blank page.

There is no reason why you wouldn't get the same result. Just go look it up and find out for yourself. I'm not making this up man!

Edit:

Run a test if you don't believe it, Try setting your homepage to something else, then reboot your pc, and see if it goes to the page you set it to, or if it goes to About Blank.

Edit:

Please Read This:About Blank

Google it also

• Moderators

That's the way it looks in IE7

Here's how it looks in IE6 (and no I haven't been hijacked, but this big house fly that just landed smack dab in the middle of my LCD doesn't mean I'm bugged either)

4pkojmu.png

Please Read This:About Blank

I think you are misunderstanding. From what I read on that malware, yes it does set the homepage to about:blank, but that doesn't mean about:blank itself is malware - if I released malware that set peoples homepage to CCleaner.com it wouldn't mean CCleaner.com was malicious, just the malware that set it in the first place was.

Trust me, about:blank is the standard name for a blank page/tab:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/About:#Common_about:_addresses

• Moderators

lol. :)

His about:blank is not a spyware infection. Yes its true that a few years ago cws would hijack your homepage(that was just a sign of it) and set it to about:blank but that does not mean that about:blank itself is a virus. Its just as everyone else said: a blank page.

CWS doesn't really seem to be around much anymore. I haven't run into any in hijackthis logs in a long time. :D

lol. :)

His about:blank is not a spyware infection. Yes its true that a few years ago cws would hijack your homepage(that was just a sign of it) and set it to about:blank but that does not mean that about:blank itself is a virus. Its just as everyone else said: a blank page.

CWS doesn't really seem to be around much anymore. I haven't run into any in hijackthis logs in a long time. :D

Oh OK rridgely, you know more about this than I do, it's just that I've experenced this before, and finally got rid of it. When I open a new tab now it reads "Blank Page" and if I change my homepage to a blank page it reads "Blank Page" and not "About Blank" anymore. It was my understanding that "About Blank" should never appear in any scenario. I think the thing that made About Blank such a sucessfull infection was that if a person used a blank page as there homepage, it could change to "About Blank" without them realizing it because it would hardly be noticeable. Most people would look at it and think that's how it's always been. I use to use a blank Page that called itself About Blank for a long time, I thoiught this was normal, and one day I decided I wanted to change it to something else, and I did. But, soon after I logged off and rebooted and started IE again it went back to About Blank. I did this several times and each time it went back to About Blank. Then I googled 'About Blank' and found out about it being a form of spyware infection. Well, to make a long story short, I found a program that removed About Blank and haven't had the problem since. Aparently it's very difficult to get rid of, and the average spyware program doesn't remove About Blank.

I'm using IE7 and all the new tabs that I open all say 'Blank Page' now. If I change my homepage to a blank page it reads 'Blank Page' and not 'About Blank' anymore.

I think if people use a blank page for there homepage and it reads "About Blank" the only way to know for sure you don't have the infection is to try changing your homepage to something else, reboot the pc, and see if IE takes you to the homepage you set it to, or if it goes to About Blank.

But like I said before, you certainly know more about this stuff than I do, and I'm just sharing what I've experienced in the past and my observations.

Sorry if I upset anyone, it wasn't my intention.

• Moderators
I think the thing that made About Blank such a sucessfull infection was that if a person used a blank page as there homepage, it could change to "About Blank" without them realizing it because it would hardly be noticeable. Most people would look at it and think that's how it's always been. I use to use a blank Page that called itself About Blank for a long time, I thoiught this was normal, and one day I decided I wanted to change it to something else, and I did.

For the paranoid you can make an Internet Explorer or whatever browser you're using blank home page, but have the title read My Blank Home Page at the top. Just save the code below as an HTML file in for instance My Documents named My Blank Homepage.htm, and load it into the browser and set it as the homepage.

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>My Blank Home Page</TITLE></HEAD></HTML>