Home pages

DennisD

• Moderators

Just curious as to whether any of you guys have any interesting "home pages", as opposed to the usual MSN, Google, Yahoo etc..

I've always liked the Yahoo home page, but recently it seems to be constantly trying to load something.

Maybe it's trying to find a way around my hosts file. :D

Anyway, I'm sure some of you guys must have stunning home pages, or boring ones like me.

You're kidding me.

Can you see something in that post JD?

Edit: You might have something there lotse, don't use the home page that much really.

Its something to do with the hoster. It doesn't affect me, but a lot of folk have to go via a proxy to see the image. Here they are:

163fs277743_th.gif

163fs278165_th.gif

• Moderators
It's the hosts file blocking it.

If you ever have a website not working that's one of the first places to of course look by using the search function of either Notepad or Wordpad. Although that original pic from wtv-zone.com shouldn't be blocked by the MVPS.org HOSTS file since it isn't even in it.

Nothing interesting about mine. I like to start with a blank screen everyday, and then choose where to go.

My home page address is:

about:blank

Isn't About Blank a homepage hijacker??

When you use a blank page as your homepage it's supposed to read "Blank Page" and not About Blank. There are tons of listing about this. Just google "about blank and you'll see what I mean.

How to remove about blank

About Blank

• Moderators
If you ever have a website not working that's one of the first places to of course look by using the search function of either Notepad or Wordpad. Although that original pic from wtv-zone.com shouldn't be blocked by the MVPS.org HOSTS file since it isn't even in it.

You're absolutely right, which makes this more strange.

I've logged off, closed down Firefox, renamed hosts file back to hosts again, and now I'm back I can still see his pictures. Seeing them with hosts disabled was just a weird coincidence. ;)

Why I couldn't see them in the first place is back to being a mystery.

Edit:

Is there anything I can do from my end so you don't have to keep renaming the hosts files, or is that a permanent fix?

No idea Tyler, I can see them all the time now as you can read above. Weird.

Isn't About Blank a homepage hijacker??

When you use a blank page as your homepage it's supposed to read "Blank Page" and not About Blank. There are tons of listing about this. Just google "about blank and you'll see what I mean.

about:blank is the standard name for a blank tab. Open a new tab in IE7 and you'll see about:blank in the address bar ;)