Scanner hardware fault

Paul-in-Devon-UK

Hi,

I am looking for advice on what I see as a hardware issue with my HP Scanjet 2400C. It started today when I fired up my PC to scan.

The fault appears to be a hardware issue as I fully un-installed EVERYTHING to do with the scanner. I even deleted all files/folders after a software removal then did a registry clean (Norton Windoctor) to ensure that all traces of software were removed. Both the scanner and PC were powered off/on followed by a re-install of the software.

Drivers and software re-installed but the error is consistent.

The error looks like this (full bed scan with the lid open as it shows the fault better than a White background)

FAULT.jpg

A closer look at the area

FAULT2.jpg

Can anyone suggest either a solution or source of advice?

Cheers, Paul.

[Edit] The scanner sounds OK. When scanning the sound is normal with no noticeable variation in tone/pitch [/edit]

• Moderators

Found this page Paul, but as your scanner was working okay up to when you restarted today it sounds a bit like it might be you are looking at a new one.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=297430

When you go into the device manager are there any yellow exclaimation showing marks next to the scanner ?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

When you go into the device manager are there any yellow exclaimation showing marks next to the scanner ?

Nothing relevant on the link you supplied.

All devices are 100% OK. No yellow exclaimation showing marks anywhere.

The scanner has been working fine for months and is in heavy daily use.

My thoughts are a fault in the ribbon cable as the fault is in a static location/size. It could be caused as the cable flexes a specific section when the carriage moves.

It only cost ?15 from eBay so a replacement might be the simplest option.

• Moderators

As someone who also has an HP I am surprised you have managed to run it so long without a hitch!!

Every now and then I have to reinstall the drivers and sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own, but with HP psc's it seems to be par for the course.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Thank you. I have browsed for info on quite a few occasions but did not register as I had no need to post.

Well, I gave up and bought a Hewlet Packard HP 3970 Scanner for ?19.01 off eBay just now. It will also scan 35mm negs and slides which is handy as I promised my Mum I would convert the hundreds of slides my dad took. Mega project but it will please her if I put them on a DVD she can pop into her DVD player.