Connecting a printer designed for XP+ to 98SE

Tarq57

My father in law has been given an HP printer scanner (oldish) designed for XP as a minimum OS requirement. (Can find out more details if required.) Asked if I could find and download a driver for him that will make his equally oldish lappy running 98SE work it OK. I was about to explain to him that it's not that simple and probably impossible, but I don't know that for sure...thought I'd ask here.

Anyone have any ideas on whether it's even worthwhile attempting this?

first you have to know the correct type to search for a working driver.

you can try to find drivers on the different driver websites

driverguide

DirverZone

and i'm shure that there a other sites where you can search for hardware drivers

But if you have the correct type you can use google to search for the driver.

The internet is wonderfull, only the 90% of crap on it isn't!

I love CCleaner IPB Image

If you don't like me, don't look at me or speak with me!

Thanks for the reply. I''ve had luck finding drivers before for various applications and updates, but never been in the situation of trying to find a driver that will make something designed for XP work using '98.

Are you suggesting that this is possible?

I think there is a smal chance that you will find a driver.

A programmer must have tried to do the same and created his own driver.

But if there was somebody who did this he also have had to share it with everybody

sorry I can't give you more possitive info but that is reality

Have you tried plugging it in just in case it works ?

He tries to connect it to Win98SE! in that version USB was really plug and prays

You cold try (at own risk) a driver of a similar model, check 98's list of drivers for a model number close to yours.

Otherwise you may just NEED XP after all.

note: I take no responsibility if it somehow wrecks your PC/Printer....

fireryone

Thanks all, for the replies.

I've suggested to him that it's likely to be difficult to find one, install it, and expect everything to work.

He's decided to get a new computer.

Yippee. Not before time!

2007, HP will no longer be able to offer driver downloads or replacement driver CD ordering for Windows 98, 98 Second Edition (SE), or Windows Millennium (Me) for your HP printer, all-in-one, camera, or scanner. Microsoft has stopped providing and supporting certain files related specifically to Windows 98 SE, and this change affects all technology companies. HP, along with other technology companies, is no longer able to use selected components in support of Windows 98SE, which has an impact on our software strategy for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows Me. HP will continue to provide other selected HP software and applications that do not depend on Windows 98 SE components for the foreseeable future.

Although the drivers for Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me will no longer be supported by HP, your HP product will still work with these operating systems with the software provided to you on the CD that shipped with the product. Also, if you have previously received a software CD that lists any of these operating systems on the CD label, or downloaded a driver for one of these operating systems, please maintain these files. These files will no longer be available in the HP online support Web site or in any other HP support options (such as e-mail, chat or phone support) after the date mentioned above.

NOTE: This information supersedes any statements in the printed documentation, the online Help and also other documents available in the HP support website.