Belarc Advisor

papajoe

Hi. I wonder if someone could help me with this question.

I just updated the Belarc Advisor and wish that I had left things as they were and kept the old version.

Now when I click on the icon a Notepad pops up with a lot of stuff in it, but I can't get any results on my PC's HW and SW.

I have downloaded this twice (uninstalled the first one) and still get the same results.

I am running Windows XP with SP2 and use the Firefox browser.

Right now I am thinking of uninstalling and just forgetting about the program as I understand that there is another one out there somewhere that does the same thing. However, I thought that I would first make a plea for help.

Thanks.

Check that Windows is set to open files with the HTML extension in your web browser. To do this, in the Folder Options windows control panel look at the File Types tab. Select the HTML Document file type and check that it opens with your preferred web browser.

If that doesn't work for you, open this file:

c:\program files\belarc\advisor\system\tmp\(COMPUTERNAME).html

(where COMPUTERNAME is the name of your PC) using the File|Open... menu in your web browser.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

"... in the Folder Options windows control panel look at the File Types tab. Select the HTML Document file type and check that it opens with your preferred web browser."

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the File Types tab? Maybe this will do it for me if I can find it.

I have tried your second suggestion, and that is set up as you suggested.

Thanks for the help.

"... in the Folder Options windows control panel look at the File Types tab. Select the HTML Document file type and check that it opens with your preferred web browser."

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the File Types tab? Maybe this will do it for me if I can find it.

I have tried your second suggestion, and that is set up as you suggested.

Thanks for the help.

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types tab.

If you are having trouble finding folder options, switch your view (upper left in control panel) and more options will be displayed.It is "switch to classic view".

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

Thanks for all your help folks. I followed the above instructions and found the File Types tab okay and selected the HTML Doc. file type and changed it so that it is supposed to open with Firefox. However, I still get the same notepad junk that I was getting before.

I have had Belarc on my pc for over a year now, and the first download was really easy and worked well. I am sorry now that I downloaded the update. I guess that some bright light at Belarc thought that he was making things better. I will find one of the other available sw programs that do the same thing and forget about it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Try:... Right click the offending file, point to Open With (or click it if necessary), choose 'Choose Program...', select Firefox (but don't click OK), and at the bottom, checkmark 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.', then hit OK.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)