Temperature monitoring program

xbrianx

You guys remember how I sometimes get a beep while playing Halo? Well, it started up again the other day, and today I was playing....then all of a sudden my computer restarted itself. It started up fine, everything seems normal. But, I'm curious as to why it restarted? I Googled a little bit, and some people say it could be power supply failure(like you guys said before) or overheating CPU, or nothing at all.

Does anyone know any good temperature monitoring software? I downloaded Speedfan, but it only detected my hard drive, and that was at 37C I think.

Does anyone know any good temperature monitoring software? I downloaded Speedfan, but it only detected my hard drive, and that was at 37C I think.

That may be all that can be monitored if thats all it detected. Hard drive temp works for me as a rough guide (using HDTune) but I'm using a laptop, probably not as usesul with a desktop.

• Moderators

I was gonna say the same as JD, Speedfan shows CPU temp for me as well as hard drive.

There's another freeware app called Motherboard Monitor 5.3.7.0., which monitors your CPU, available from Softpedia, but I've haven't tried it yet.

There's a list of chips it can access on the download page.

Link:

I tried installing MotherBoard Monitor, but it asked a lot of questions and things I wasn't sure about doing(something with disappearing icons). I re-installed Speedfan, and it still only detected the hard drive. It had a little pop-up in the system tray that said "Sensors Detected: HD 80.0GB".

untitledjs8.th.jpg

Oh, and I played Halo again, and nothing happened. So maybe it was one of those memory dumps or something? My computer is under warranty until 08, so I might call and get the power supply replaced and keep the old one if it's still good. :lol:

• Moderators

Yep, in that same window, I've got 4 temps showing, although I think only 3 of them are active.

Maybe you don't have the sensors, or it's not accessing your chips. That's as far as I'll go as I'm about to enter the unknown (ie don't know what I'm talking about).

I'll install that Motherboard app, and play around with it.

Just out of interest, I've got the HD trailer for Halo, although I have never bought or played a pc game ever. (PS2 console)

It looks amazing, and I'm tempted, but I think I would like to try some free demo pc downloads first. Can you, or anyone, recommend any good first person shooter demo's?

Or any Tombraider type demo's?

Thanks

Well, there is a Halo 1 demo for download, over on Microsoft's site. That's what I play everyday :P But, I know some people that play Call Of Duty 2, FEAR, Counter-Strike: Source, and Battlefield 2142, all for PC. I'm not sure if they have demos though.

Maybe you don't have the sensors, or it's not accessing your chips. That's as far as I'll go as I'm about to enter the unknown (ie don't know what I'm talking about).

Yeah, I don't know that much about hardware, so I always ask before venturing into the unknown and mess something up. :lol:

Power outage.

I feel so stupid. Every time I post here with a problem, it's resolved in, at the most, a day. <_< I figured out it was a power outage because we have a Carbon Monoxide monitor in the living room, and it always beeps when the power goes out, and, it beeped both times my computer restarted earlier(along with some other signs from other things).

Just out of interest, I've got the HD trailer for Halo, although I have never bought or played a pc game ever. (PS2 console)

It looks amazing, and I'm tempted, but I think I would like to try some free demo pc downloads first. Can you, or anyone, recommend any good first person shooter demo's?

Or any Tombraider type demo's?

Thanks

Halo (#1) Demo http://www.3dgamers.com/games/halo/downloads/

Tomb Raider Demos: http://www.gamershell.com/search/?q=Tomb+Raider

My favorite site for demos is: www.3dgamers.com

I just tried the Sam & Max 5: Reality 2.0 Demo its quite nice :)

http://www.3dgamers.com/search?restrict=&a...rds=Sam+and+Max

Halo 2 requires Vista or an XBOX....

Welcome to the world of PC gaming :)

fireryone

If you have an ASUS motherboard:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...-PC-Probe.shtml

I use it, And it works well (if you have ASUS), even records the temps over time so you can see what temp the PC was

when the pc/game crashed.

fireryone

Hi guys B)

And DennisD, a good multi player on line game is (Urban Terror) have a look at www.urbanterror.net B)

Give System Information for Windows, SIW, a try. It finds the temps for both processor cores and the HD, whereas HDTune and SpeedFan only find the HD.

SIW is at http://www.gtopala.com/

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thats not right, speedfan monitors more than just HD temp.

I misspoke, meant to say that HDTune monitors only the HD. Thank you for correcting that, JD. Here is a screenshot of the whole batch of them running. They don't seem to agree on much. Are some of the readings wrong?

th_CPUTemps.jpg

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.