strange computer behavior

beatlebryce

Today I come home from work, turn on my computer, and it loads up. Everything seemed normal, but then it stayed on the welcome screen. Thing is, I dont have a password for my profile, so I clicked on it, and it continued to load. I hadn't turned off my computer all day, and I left with it on. I come back that evening after 2 hours, and I see that the fonts are big. Its only the fonts that come when you set the cursor over something, where it says the file name and info, such as for a folder, it will say what files are in the folder. Does anyone know how to fix this? If my description wasn't too good for the second problem, I can show a screenshot, just ask. Thanks in advance, I wasnt sure if this was the right place, so sorry if it's not.

Actually, the font problem solved itself, I restarted my computer.

Today when I turned it on, it froze on the welcome screen, halfway between saying "Welcome" and "Starting Windows". It stayed that way for about 10 mins before I restarted my computer. Worked fine the second time, but still, these things are annoying. I know my computer very well, I scan with at least 5 programs, I clean it up with CCleaner and Ashampoo, and I defrag about 2 times a month. This computer is based on XP Pro, a year old next month. Please, any suggestions?

That's what I'm not getting. This was a random thing, yes, but I cant see how it is hardware related. I haven't made any hardware changes for at least 3 months, and even then, it was only a graphics card installation.

I'm gonna go hard drive error checking on restart, and have it solve any problems it finds. Hopefully this works, I'll let you know how it goes.

• Moderators

Perhaps a recent Windows Update messed something up? Hard to tell really.

If it were my system I'd use a System Restore point to the day before all this started happening. Who knows you may get lucky with it only being a registry problem. I know some forms of registry corruption can cause the Welcome screen to get stuck, and not allow Windows to fully load - been there, and done that.