Spell check for Opera

craigathus

Hi all B)

I have started using Opera as my browser for this forum.

I really miss spell check, and need some help :)

I have Opera, but I keeping going back to Firefox.

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck/

Hi TwistedMetal B) ?and thanks for the link :D

So I got Aspell, how do I use it with Opera? :blink:

Any help please :blink:

You need to install Aspell to the default location. Than install a dictionary to the default location. Opera should detect Aspell. It will be in the right click context menu when you right click.

i have another suggestion. it's much better than using Aspell :)

use oSpell :)

Hi JohnDemolition B)

Ok so got oSpell, after having no luck with Aspell.

Now I'm even more confused? oSpell is a (JScript?Script file)??what?am?I?supposed?to?do?with?it??where?do?I?put?it?

Hi JohnDemolition B)

Now I'm even more confused? oSpell is a (JScript Script file)? what am I supposed to do with it? where do I put it?

What problems did you have with Aspell. It works perfectly for me on all machines. Make sure you download this Aspell http://aspell.net/win32/ and a dictionary from the same site . They are just down the page a little.

This a tutorial of how to use user js in Opera if you decide to stay with Ospell.

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/

Well after mucking around for hours trying to get Aspell and even oSpell to work with Opera :angry: I have returned to using IE7 and ieSpell <_<

I guess I'm addicted to spell-checking :lol:

Thanks all who tried to help me :(

What problems did you have with Aspell. It works perfectly for me on all machines. Make sure you download this Aspell http://aspell.net/win32/ and a dictionary from the same site . They are just down the page a little.

This a tutorial of how to use user js in Opera if you decide to stay with Ospell.

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/

Hi Anthony A

Yes I got the downloads from the same site and everything, and installed them in the correct order and let them install in their default location.

As far as I can tell I did every thing right, even tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

If I clicked on the Edit button in (Opera) the menu showed a grayed out (Spell Check) listing?

Was it Clint Eastwood who once said "A mans got to know his limits"? I'll stick with IE7 <_<

Hi Anthony A

Yes I got the downloads from the same site and everything, and installed them in the correct order and let them install in their default location.

As far as I can tell I did every thing right, even tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

If I clicked on the Edit button in (Opera) the menu showed a grayed out (Spell Check) listing?

You need to be in a field with some text you entered like a forum or something similar than right click and select "check spelling". A dialog pops up that is very similar to IE Spell. Also it has been mentioned by me and others that this forum messes up some spell checkers Aspell in Opera is one of them. Try it out on another site and see if it works. It will work on this site if you use the "fast reply" option. It doesn't work if you use the "add reply" option or quote somebodies post. That is my experience with it. Firefox's in line check does not work properly either on this site.

If a different browser than IE7 with a spell check is what you want try Firefox to. It has it built in for you.

Hi Anthony A

I did try using it (Aspell) while writing in a new post and still had no luck.

I tried highlighting text and right clicking, and right clicking in empty space in the dialog box.

I might try using it in another forum, as you suggested.

Thanks for trying to help B)

Hi JohnDemolition B)

Now I'm even more confused? oSpell is a (JScript?Script file)??what?am?I?supposed?to?do?with?it??where?do?I?put?it?

get the file, name a folder called userjs(wherever you want to make it), then go to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content > JavaScript Options, and in the place where it says User JavaScript Files, write out where the folder is(or use the dialog thingy). also, make sure that oSpell.js is in the folder.

My favorite spell checker of all the ones I have is the Google Tool Bar Spell checker. I have Aspell, IE Spell, IE7 Pro, Firefox built in spell check, and Google Tool Bar. The Google Tool Bar is the best IMO. SOL for using it with Opera.

• Moderators

The google one is ok (I used to use it on firefox before 2.0) but I freaking hate toolbars!

At least on firefox you could just drag the spell chekc button to the main toolbar and get rid of the rest of the google one. :P

I dont see why you want to have to press the button to have it check your spelling when firefox is already putting the red lines there... but to each his own.

The google one is ok (I used to use it on firefox before 2.0) but I freaking hate toolbars!

At least on firefox you could just drag the spell chekc button to the main toolbar and get rid of the rest of the google one. :P

I dont see why you want to have to press the button to have it check your spelling when firefox is already putting the red lines there... but to each his own.

Personally I find spell check as you type (in line spell checking) very annoying. I want to type my post or whatever I'm typing than check the whole thing. I ignore words that are marked as mistakes that I don't want to change and correct the ones I do want to change. The red lines popping up under the words while I type throws me off. The Google Tool Bar and IE Spell are also the most accurate in my opinion. If I misspell a word 99% of the time those two spell checkers have the correct word to replace it with. I find Firefox's in line spell check to be the least accurate. Many times with slightly misspelled words it doesn't have the correct word available to replace it with.