Do you use a Limited User Account to access the internet?

Robbie

When you access the internet do you do so through an account with Computer Administrative privileges or do you have a separate user account with Limited features?

I am the only person who uses this computer, and all I ever have had is the one account, which is obviously an account with administrative privileges. I have read though that this is not a good idea from a security point of view, and that it would be better to have two accounts, one with limited privileges and to use that account to access the internet and to use the other account purely for computer housekeeping, so to speak.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Should I create another user account for safety?

• Moderators

It's recommended by many security minded folk to only enable your Admin account for installing software, updates and the like.

I however had a very short lived forte using a limited user account simply because it's just too limiting, and the fact that I have absolutely zero patience switching between accounts.

I must admit I only use one account simply because I like to have everything at hand, rather than having to switch between accounts.

On my old computer I once had a separate, limited user account and found it, as you say, too limiting. I rarely used it because of this and eventually just deleted the account. With this computer I've just stuck to the one account, but every recommendation I see seems to be to create a limited user account when accessing the internet. I suppose so long as my computer is as secure as possible then having the one account should be OK.

It's recommended by many security minded folk to only enable your Admin account for installing software, updates and the like.

I however had a very short lived forte using a limited user account simply because it's just too limiting, and the fact that I have absolutely zero patience switching between accounts.

I feel the same, its too much of a hassle to switch between accounts.

You could do the right click "Run As" thing, but that is a few more clicks as well.

Shows how impatient we get lol...

Overall I haven't had any real "security" threats to warrant the hassle.

fireryone

• Moderators

On xp it just isn't possible to use limited accounts if you actually do anything on your computer.

Its better on vista though because accounts are handled closer to the way they are on OSX and linux(you enter a password to do admin level things) I think thats a good compromise but if I used vista I would still probably use admin accounts. :P I hate having limited/restricted access to anything on MY computer. :D

I'm an "install-a-holic", especially on system maintenance softwares and security updates, therefore Limited User Account is a hassle to me.

I have Sandboxie to take care of my browser, if I'm doing something tricky I just load Powershadow and all goes well.

Hi Robbie. I do much the same as Tunerz, plus am giving Returnil a workout. PS, Returnil, Sandboxie seem to work very well on WXP, no conflicts yet. There is some suggestion that Returnil conflicts with the rootkit finder Icesword. Was on a Vista machine; doesn't happen on mine.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.