MS DOS 6.2

Canary

I am trying to access special computer features that are on a music CD that was released in 1997.

I got a message saying I needed to install MS DOS 6.2, so I visited the Microsoft Downloads website and downloaded it.

It seemed to go OK, and I've now got a load of new icons on my desktop.

But when I tried to launch the software on the CD, I again got a message that I needed to install DOS 6.2 or higher.

Any ideas?

Try to launch program via command prompt. Start -Run, type cmd. If it doesn't open with cmd, use that DOS 6.2.

In cmd, you first have to change drive to your CD-drive, typing in example e:. If software is in sub-folder, type cd <name of the folder> (i.e. cd features). Then type name of the program you wanna start, i.e. demo.

I don't understand what you mean by changing drive.

The way to run the program is to insert the CD, and then it should run automatically. But it just keeps saying I need to install MS DOS 6.2, even though I already have. I don't know what the program is called so I don't know what to type.

CeeCee - if I double click the CD drive, it just tries to start the installation of the features . . . and then says I need MS DOS.

Hi Andavari - it's a music CD that contains some interactive features, calling itself a "CD Extra". It's been some years since I accessed the interactive stuff on an old PC, but I seem to remember it contained things such as being able to make your own mixes of some of the songs etc.

• Moderators

Well don't double click the CD in My Computer. Instead right click the CD icon and select Open, or select Browse, that way you can at least view the CD contents in Windows Explorer without it causing the AutoRun program that may be on that CD requesting DOS be installed.

I don't understand what you mean by changing drive.

Take a look at this screenshot from Command Prompt: http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07286/Clipboadsrd01.jpg

I have first changed drive letter to match my cd-drive. With command cd <folder name>, i can access sub-folder (if any). With just command dir, you see what files are in the current drive/folder, i.e. H: dir. If there's in example file demo, you can start it just using that file name.

Take a look at this screenshot from Command Prompt: http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07286/Clipboadsrd01.jpg

I have first changed drive letter to match my cd-drive. With command cd <folder name>, i can access sub-folder (if any). With just command dir, you see what files are in the current drive/folder, i.e. H: dir. If there's in example file demo, you can start it just using that file name.

Hi guys, and thanks for your help so far.

I know I sound like a complete idiot, but I'm lost here. I don't quite understand what I'm looking for.

Andavari - I've right-clicked and it opens up a load of icons, but I'm not sure what I need to do with them.

CeeCee - Thanks for the screenshot, but I'm not clear what I need to be doing. Please bear with me here! I thought that by downloading MS DOS, I could simply run a CD that worked fine aon my old computer a decade ago!

I don't quite know where sub-folders and file names come into this.

I am trying to access special computer features that are on a music CD that was released in 1997.

I got a message saying I needed to install MS DOS 6.2, so I visited the Microsoft Downloads website and downloaded it.

Where did you find the MS Dos 6.2 download on the MS site? All I see are MS-Dos step-up files.

I would like to find a full copy of MS Dos myself so I can set up a dual boot OS and run old programs.

• Moderators
I've right-clicked and it opens up a load of icons, but I'm not sure what I need to do with them.

What I meant was this:

1. Right click the CD drive with the CD in it.

2. Select the Explore option, this will bring up Windows Explorer and should bypass any autorun program on the disc. Now you "should" be able to see the disc contents and grab any videos, software, or whatever is on the data portion without it requesting the installation of DOS - I think.

Screenshot:

right_click_explore.png.xs.jpg

Andavari - I see what you mean now. Anyway, I right-clicked and went into Explore, and a whole load of icons appeared. But none of them would work when I tried to click them - and again, I got told to install MS DOS.

BrownSugar - This is what I have downloaded: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Perhaps that's why I'm having problems - maybe what I thought was DOS isn't DOS.

Perhaps that's why I'm having problems - maybe what I thought was DOS isn't DOS.

Yea you would be right (excerpt from the readme.now file) :

To use the MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up, you must be running the

released version of MS-DOS 6, MS-DOS 6.2 or MS-DOS 6.21.

If you are running an older version of MS-DOS, a beta

version of MS-DOS, or any version of MS-DOS that was

modified by a hardware vendor, you cannot use the MS-DOS 6.22

Step-Up. To install MS-DOS 6.22 on such a system, obtain the

full MS-DOS 6.22 Upgrade product.

You have got us all interested in your cd now, lets see a screenshot :) as suggested by CeeCee

fireryone

Look for the print screen (PrtScr) key on your keyboard.

Open your favorite photo editor: like MSPaint

Click Edit / Paste in Paints menu

Click File / Save

Select jpg or gif from the filetype box.

Save to desktop or My Documents

Go to www.imageshack.us

At imageshack click the Browse button locate your saved image click Ok

Click the Host It button.

Once its uploaded, copy the code in the first box,

Paste the code it into a reply to this post

fireryone