Anyone using "Portable Firefox"?

knotwurthy

I know CCleaner only cleans registry entries, but wondered if anyone is using "Portable Firefox"

I was using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on an old backup PC. It would slow down over time using a larger percentage of the CPU. I had to uninstall and reinstall every two or three weeks. I was using CCleaner v1.4.520 with the "winapp2.ini" to clean the PC but over time it still got worse. I am now trying "Portable Firefox 2.0.0.4. Just curious if anyone has experienced the slowdown over time or if anyone is using "Portable Firefox" and what they think about it. I found only one old "Portable Firefox" link on a search. I am trying to learn what to clean in the portable version.

Maybe I should have posted this in "Software" but it involves CCleaner initially. I am not saying CCleaner is causing a problem. This forum is loaded with intelligent users with unbiased opinions, so I am utilizing this resource as well as Firefox and Portable Apps forums.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I use Portable FF... not problems at all... some of the older USB drives can be quite slow.... even though they claim "usb 2" speeds.

Also if your thumbdrive is almost full.. there's no elbow room on the drive.... it may run better if you get a bigger drive or clear some stuff off.

A good way to "defrag" thumbdrive is to copy every thing to a temp file on your hardrive, then delete everything on your thumbdrive... a format is cleanest, then copy it all back on... that too may help.

Also under the "advanced" tab in FF... don't let your cache size be over about 20mb or so....it will only load down your thumbdrive.

lastly, you can go to "tools" in FF, then "addons", then in the lower right click "get extensions" when you get to the page, put in the search box "network tweak"... when that page comes up click on "Network tweak".. I don't recommend the one that says "faster firefox".. it makes your cache work in the background too much and the other one will set the proper settings for you .

Anyway... click on the link that says "install now", once its installed.. let it restart firefox.

Once it comes back up go back to tools, drop down to the new entry that says "tweak network settings" and click on the "power" button in the lower right hand area and click ok.

One last thing to can "alter" on those setting that hitting the power button makes is to:

set ?network.http.pipelining.maxrequests? to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

I'm at work on a protected system where most settings are locked out.. These setting are adjusting FF alone.. but it helps the browsing speed... and you don't have to worry about upsetting some network administrator at work.

Hope some of this helps.

I use Portable FF... not problems at all... some of the older USB drives can be quite slow.... even though they claim "usb 2" speeds.

Also if your thumbdrive is almost full.. there's no elbow room on the drive.... it may run better if you get a bigger drive or clear some stuff off.

A good way to "defrag" thumbdrive is to copy every thing to a temp file on your hardrive, then delete everything on your thumbdrive... a format is cleanest, then copy it all back on... that too may help.

Also under the "advanced" tab in FF... don't let your cache size be over about 20mb or so....it will only load down your thumbdrive.

lastly, you can go to "tools" in FF, then "addons", then in the lower right click "get extensions" when you get to the page, put in the search box "network tweak"... when that page comes up click on "Network tweak".. I don't recommend the one that says "faster firefox".. it makes your cache work in the background too much and the other one will set the proper settings for you .

Anyway... click on the link that says "install now", once its installed.. let it restart firefox.

Once it comes back up go back to tools, drop down to the new entry that says "tweak network settings" and click on the "power" button in the lower right hand area and click ok.

One last thing to can "alter" on those setting that hitting the power button makes is to:

set ?network.http.pipelining.maxrequests? to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

I'm at work on a protected system where most settings are locked out.. These setting are adjusting FF alone.. but it helps the browsing speed... and you don't have to worry about upsetting some network administrator at work.

Hope some of this helps.

Most of those network tweaks are a joke and cause more problems than do any good. The network.http.pipelining.maxrequests maxes out at 8 if I remember correctly so anything above that is a joke. This has been discussed at length many many times on the Firefox Forums.

As for the cache in Portable Firefox it is disabled by default to force Portable Firefox to use the computers RAM for cache instead of the thumb drive. Cuts down on the read/writes to the thumb drive increasing it's life span. Also it speeds up browsing with Portable Firefox from a thumb drive since using the computers ram is faster than using the thumb drive for cache. If you choose to put Portable Firefox on your computer you can go into the options and re enable the cache like you would on regular Firefox.