Windows XP Firewall

Tom AZ

I'm using a third party Firewall (Outpost Firewall Pro). Should the Windows Firewall be used concurrently with it -- or is it an "either/or" -- one or the other choice? Didn't know if running them together would cause some conflicts -- one fighting the other -- or if it's just simply redundant and not necessary to use both.

• Moderators

To set things straight WinXP's firewall is a joke in the sense of it not filtering any outbound/outgoing connections, and for having a completely useless logging feature, however everyone is entitled to their opinion of it. It's also easily disabled, hell even Windows Updates/Microsoft Updates website will kill the Windows Security Center service along with the firewall service portion if the website isn't functioning correctly or has a problem, which of course means a system reboot is necessary to start the service again.

With proper anti-malware software installed and fully updated most third-party software-based firewalls aren't really going to offer much more other than the added feature of outbound filtering and of course the odd bug, or two, or three, or dozen, etc., and of course all the annoying alerting or flashing systray icon they're going to have/cause.

I personally use the WinXP firewall and have no need to try or test anymore third-party variety hence each and every third-party firewall I've used I've found or encountered a bug with.

Mind if I hijack this thread for a moment with a question? I recently uninstalled PC Tools Firewall Plus. Not the new version but their first one. Version 1.0 maybe? Anyways I had trouble with it and AVG AV off and on ever since I installed Firewall Plus. Various AVG updates would cause the firewall problems. The two would work harmoniously and then there'd be a big AVG update and afterwards AVG simply could and would not connect to the internet for further updates. I like AVG and I've used if for years now and since I'm loyal I ditched the Firewall Plus, no one on their forum or the AVG forum could fix my problem, and turned the Windows Firewall back on. I've noticed that every now and then I'll hear a "boing" tone and a red shield icon will appear down in the bottom right of my screen (taskbar?). My computer will make that "boing" tone, the red shield will appear, and then in less than 2 seconds it disappears. It's the same red shield you see if you go into the control panel to turn the Windows Firewall off. My question is is my firewall turning off on it's own or is this normal behavior? I go into Control Panel and it always shows the firewall on. Thanks!

• Moderators

I've mentioned a number of times in other threads that I use Windows Firewall, and I wouldn't change it.

Yes, it's only for inbound stuff, but when new programmes I've installed dial out, Windows Firewall has always blocked them from downloading.

I've mentioned a number of times in other threads that I use Windows Firewall, and I wouldn't change it.

And I'm still using Sygate, and suspect I will be for a while yet as theres been nothing close to it as far as problem free effective firewalls go.

And I'm still using Sygate, and suspect I will be for a while yet as theres been nothing close to it as far as problem free effective firewalls go.

Didn't Sygate get acquired by Symantec a while back?

Didn't Sygate get acquired by Symantec a while back?

Yeah but you can still get Sygate in plenty of places:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Fire...wall-Free.shtml

And it still passes the leak tests with 100% stealth rating, despite being a couple of year old (and just as imporantly doesn't break anything or pester me for permissions every five mins).

• Moderators
And I'm still using Sygate

I absolutely loved the logging feature in that firewall and haven't seen anything as good in any other firewall - it was straight forward and easy to understand. But SPF always had the problem of a slow rotting process (similar to OS rot) where it would become so buggy after being installed for a long time (many, many months) that I'd have to remove it and start fresh again.

I absolutely loved the logging feature in that firewall and haven't seen anything as good in any other firewall - it was straight forward and easy to understand. But SPF always had the problem of a slow rotting process (similar to OS rot) where it would become so buggy after being installed for a long time (many, many months) that I'd have to remove it and start fresh again.

I've never had to reinstall it and never had a single problem with it :huh:

Mind if I hijack this thread for a moment with a question? I recently uninstalled PC Tools Firewall Plus. Not the new version but their first one. Version 1.0 maybe? Anyways I had trouble with it and AVG AV off and on ever since I installed Firewall Plus. Various AVG updates would cause the firewall problems. The two would work harmoniously and then there'd be a big AVG update and afterwards AVG simply could and would not connect to the internet for further updates. I like AVG and I've used if for years now and since I'm loyal I ditched the Firewall Plus, no one on their forum or the AVG forum could fix my problem, and turned the Windows Firewall back on. I've noticed that every now and then I'll hear a "boing" tone and a red shield icon will appear down in the bottom right of my screen (taskbar?). My computer will make that "boing" tone, the red shield will appear, and then in less than 2 seconds it disappears. It's the same red shield you see if you go into the control panel to turn the Windows Firewall off. My question is is my firewall turning off on it's own or is this normal behavior? I go into Control Panel and it always shows the firewall on. Thanks!

Hey David_L

Feel free to post your own topic using the "new topic" button.

You may get a better responce that way.

regards

fireryone

fireryone