July Desktops

rridgely

Prehaps not one of the most exciting, but its one of my favourite places. Its the view looking over the Fern houses at the Royal Botanical Gardens, Edinburgh.

th_32144_rbge_122_248lo.jpg

The gardens and the Glasshouses are stunning.

Tunerz: Lot of icons on desktop really ruins the look and hides the wallpaper. Make a folder to desktop and put icons there. Put to quicklaunch bar programs (only couple of) that you use frequently.

JohnDemolition: I got a tip for you: Change desktop color to black, so desktop icons text box will be transparent.

Better yet

1. Right click desktop "Arrange Icons by" click "Desktop Icons"

2. right click blank area of the taskbar, "toolbars" click "Desktop"

Now you are 100% icon free,

since CeeCee's method still leaves a few behind as some icons cant be moved.

fireryone

I don't think that is very good idea. It's always good to know, what's happening in your task bar and when it's always there, it's more quicker to use it.

I always know what I have open and whats going on so the task bar always visible is a waste of space. If I need to use it it takes half a second to move the cursor down there and it appears.

So much for the delayed reply :blink:

Tunerz: Lot of icons on desktop really ruins the look and hides the wallpaper. Make a folder to desktop and put icons there. Put to quicklaunch bar programs (only couple of) that you use frequently.

Most of them are my brother's "files" and I don't want to mess with it. I do have a separate account which is the "Administrator" account everybody knows and practically hidden from the normal account selection. That account has a lot less clutter, probably occupying 2.5 rows starting from the lest

I did a major over haul of my Desktop. It was time for a change. I created a folder on the Desktop and put most of my Desktop icons in there. Than I dragged the folder to the top of the screen and it becomes a tool bar. Right click the tool bar and customize it and select "autohide". The tool bar disappears and reappears when you put the cursor to the top of the screen.

This is a shot with the tool bar showing. The icons activate the programs with a single click instead of a double click.

2007-07-20_161904.jpg.xs.jpg

This is a shot with it "autohiding" so the Desktop is very clean.

2007-07-20_162903.jpg.xs.jpg

I am using Windows Classic and selected Slate for the color. Doing this also made some very nice changes to IE7. Darkened the whole UI and changed the tab bar. Basically it skinned IE7 and I like how it looks.

2007-07-20_162529.jpg.xs.jpg

That looks good Anthony ;)

I create a number of folders on my desktop for the various shortcuts. For instance I have all my "security" related shortcuts in one folder, all my "video/multimedia" related shortcuts in another. I find it makes everything easier to find, rather than having to scan 30+ shortcuts to find the appropriate program.

You still have a very striking desktop. Well done.

I do, nice original take on the default windows background.

Otherwise nice, but all those icons on desktop kinda ruins the general look. Make a folder to desktop and put some icons there. Keep most used on desktop or put to quicklaunch.

My current desktop: http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07296/dektopdragon.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks CeeCee. I've decided I'm gonna buy that place when I win the lottery.

Of course I'll take all the stuff I'll need. PC, HiFi, Widescreen LCD TV, PS3.......electricity. :lol:

Actually, I've just changed the whole desktop after reading the chit chat between you and the others.

Managed to get 23 items pinned to the start menu. Set "recently used" to 0. That just left the most used to fit along the bottom.

I could have unchecked "show desktop items", but when I do that I occasionally get a problem with live desktop.