Microsoft updates

hazelnut

i got 8 updates on vista home premium,

7 of them succeded or so it says... but one of them failed

the one that failed was a security update to excel viewer 2003

it makes me restart the computer but once it comes back on, the same updates are listed on auto update...?

6aoy3pv.jpg

This may help explain happened back in December as well:

During the December updates, I almost "unselected" MS06-078, as it referenced an update for Media Player 6.4 in the title information and at 1st I felt it might even impact my Media Player 11 environment. Still I decided to install this and when I saw the same reference to MP 6.4 in updating other PCs, I knew all was well

This is actually documented in the FAQs. Apparently, MP 6.4 "lives" on your PC for compatibility reasons even if you're on the latest and greatest version.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archi...er-version.aspx

fireryone

What update you got for XP? I didn't got any.

Update for Windows XP (KB936357)

This is a reliability update. Install this microcode update to improve the reliability of systems with Intel processors.

After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

fireryone

I got 7 updates for windows vista, one of which (spam filter update) I didn't need.

Out of the 6 remaining only one installed sucessfully first time. I then went through them one by one and suceeded in installing all of them except " Important Update for Windows Vista: KB935807".

I have tried another 3 times without success. On the little feedback I have found on this it seems others have had the same problem.

http://itsvista.com/2007/07/important-upda...vista-kb935807/

At least its not critical :huh:

• Moderators

That .NET Framework 2.0 Update just sat there for about 45 minutes doing absolutely nothing so I had to end task the KB updater and Windows Installer (msiexec.exe), then on the second attempt it finally installed - but it took about 5 minutes. That had to be the longest time I've ever waited for an update to initialize and successfully install.

I wonder why the updates take so long to initialize and install sometimes, that has always baffled me even if they're validating themselves or have already done so - seems way too long.

BTW, just to give a slight update on my issue, i still can't install these updates no matter what i seem to do, i uninstalled the excel 2003 viewer program due to i never use it and i thought that was the problem... but when i click install they say they have succeded and tells me i need to restart computer so i do that a few minutes once my computer has been running the update icon appears and says they failed to install... ive tryed this like 10times now. can someone help?

also instead of the 8 now its showing 7 due to me uninstalling excel...

6aoy3pv.jpg

BTW, just to give a slight update on my issue, i still can't install these updates no matter what i seem to do, i uninstalled the excel 2003 viewer program due to i never use it and i thought that was the problem... but when i click install they say they have succeded and tells me i need to restart computer so i do that a few minutes once my computer has been running the update icon appears and says they failed to install... ive tryed this like 10times now. can someone help?

also instead of the 8 now its showing 7 due to me uninstalling excel...

When all else fails with Microsoft - and it usually does :blink: - I go here:

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

I used to use this site alot with no problems. You have to use any browser except IE, and download a small plugin. It works and is perfectly safe.

i tryed that website doesent seem to be able to get any downloads... i installed the plug in but then once i got to pick updates it says false and then takes me back to there home page.

i am using mozilla firefox and running windows Vista Home Premium.

could that be a problem?

6aoy3pv.jpg

I recently installed 6 out of the 7 updates listed on windows update, i done this by selecting each one and installing then restarting, i managed to find the update that won't install...

this is the link copyed the details from the windows update page

Vulnerability in Windows Vista Firewall Could Allow Information Disclosure (935807)

General Information

Executive Summary

This moderate security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability. This vulnerability could allow incoming unsolicited network traffic to access a network interface. An attacker could potentially gather information about the affected host.

This is a moderate security update for all supported editions of Windows Vista. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.

This security update addresses the vulnerability by modifying the Windows Vista firewall default behavior to block unsolicited traffic communicating over the Teredo interface. For more information about the vulnerability, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) subsection for the specific vulnerability entry under the next section, Vulnerability Information.

Recommendation: Microsoft recommends that customers consider applying the security update.

Link to the page i got the info from Microsoft Tech Net Page

6aoy3pv.jpg