Ok, great. So now what....?

DigIt

I was happy to see that the initial functionality was strait forward and appears to be easy to use. However, after recovery, what do I do next exactly?

It's pretty clear, I suppose, that the app. doesn't "automatically" repair broken files. (kinda counter intuitive) My next guess is that what I'm looking for would be in these "recovery files"?

If so, what am I supposed to do with them? Take these new files and hunt down/replace the existing files? Just wondering here.... would it not be customary here to have an automatic replace option in pref. with a back-up prompt?

I have also noticed that subsequent scans seem to be producing an increasing # of "errors/problems" or "deleted files". This is where I get confused. "If" Recuva "doesn't" replace files and if this increasing # of errors "are" due to previous scans, then what's up w that? <_<

**EDIT**

So it's been a few days now so I gather that my post is considard to be either: something answered so many times that it isn't something anybody wants to be bothered with. (in that case a link would do just fine) or there is something so clear that I am just not seeing/getting. Either way, I wouldn't mind trying this app. out.

Windows XP Professional (5.01.2600 Service Pack 2)

ANSI Code Page: 1252

OEM Range: 850

DirectX 9.0c

Intel? Pentium? 4 CPU 2.60GHz

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07

Memory : 2048 MB

Sound Card : RADEON 9800 SERIES

DVD-ROM Drive:

Firmware Version: 1.0

Buffer Size: 512 KB

Read Speed: 32 , 8 X

So it's been a few days now so I gather that my post is considard to be either: something answered so many times that it isn't something anybody wants to be bothered with. (in that case a link would do just fine) or there is something so clear that I am just not seeing/getting. Either way, I wouldn't mind trying this app. out.

Or maybe no-one quite understands what your getting at, you understand the program is just for recovering files you accidentally deleted and want to get back, ie you scan, look for the file you accidentally deleted in the results and restore it.

(Plus its only been two days since you posted and this is one of the least busy sections of the forum)

Or maybe no-one quite understands what your getting at, you understand the program is just for recovering files you accidentally deleted and want to get back, ie you scan, look for the file you accidentally deleted in the results and restore it.

(Plus its only been two days since you posted and this is one of the least busy sections of the forum)

Ok, fair enough. I'm fully willing to accept that there are many things that I don't understand. That's why I'm here. However, on my second scan, using Recuva. It returned nearly 14 000 items. Hence my comment about a auto-repair function. I wasn't looking for a specific file. I came across the program, I tried it. It told me there were 13 674 problems. Not looking for nor expecting anything, the fact remains, I'm sitting there saying...."ok, now what." I didn't know what any of them were for the most part. I'm approx. 6 months since a clean install. Sure I could believe that I had some scattered files. So sure lets fix them now that I have them identified.

Not being confident with the app. yet, I end up here. Busy or not, where else would I go? Reviewing the Moderators it says that everybody is either all assigned to "software/virus protection" or "all". Left me thinking....hmmmmm <_<

Then, after cruising around a bit, I try to help out some dude and get flamed on form. Resulting in 2 comments that had nothing to do with any point "helping" anybody. That said it seemed that people had extra time for randomness, I thought that despite the attitude, there might be some insight towards my issue.

Didn't mean to come off the wrong way or anything but most of the application specific support forums that I have gone to, responses come in minutes/hours not days. No big deal as I say, just different is all. =)

DirectX 9.0c

DVD-ROM Drive:

• Moderators

Maybe I'm not reading this right but I think you might be misunderstanding what recuva does.

Recuva finds files that you have deleted and allows you to get them back. The way windows works is that when you delete a file it doesn't magically disappear, what happens is windows tells itself that the space on the drive is free and can be over written. So what recuva does it lets you get back those files before they are gone for good.

Just because recuva found thousands of things doesn't mean anything. Your not supposed to do anything with them unless you need them back.

They aren't "problems" they are just things that you could get back if you needed them.

Maybe I'm not reading this right but I think you might be misunderstanding what recuva does.

Recuva finds files that you have deleted and allows you to get them back. The way windows works is that when you delete a file it doesn't magically disappear, what happens is windows tells itself that the space on the drive is free and can be over written. So what recuva does it lets you get back those files before they are gone for good.

Just because recuva found thousands of things doesn't mean anything. Your not supposed to do anything with them unless you need them back.

They aren't "problems" they are just things that you could get back if you needed them.

Thank you.

So at what point will Recuva not show a file? I take it there is a line somewhere. Meaning, a grey area where it will still show a file but it isn't viable any longer? How big is the grey area? I know that might be hard/almost imposible to answer but.....if you were to make a rough guess. Might it be like:

30%= Shows file, 100% recoverable

40%= Shows file, 80% recoverable (depending on type/length, drive activity since etc...)

30%= May still show file, likely unrecoverable. Or, shows noithing.

I guess the reson for that question might have something to do with understanding how fast you have to realize that you have to recover something etc....

DirectX 9.0c

DVD-ROM Drive:

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming this program works like any other file recovery program, you will want to try to recover your file as soon as possible. Once windows thinks this is free space it could overwrite the area on the disk with new information, making your deleted file nearly unrecoverable. Because you have little to no controll over what part of the disk windows is going to use to write to next, a person can't really say when a file will become unrecoverable.

It's great to see such a useful program offered up for free. I plan to install this program on all of my client's machines once it is out of beta, and I have had a good chance to test it.