computer messed up

xxxxsh4d0wxxxx

Alright, so here is the story.. my mom used the computer and went grocery shopping. When she came back, all the clocks were reset which indicates a power outage. Her computer was on during this time. Now when you plug the computer in and push the power button it wont light up. The cd drive will open which says it has power.. but it won't give signal on the monitor. Also, when I plug the computer in.. it turns on by itself. What could be wrong?

My guess right now, (from all the inspecting Ive done of it), is that the power supply is probably fried. I mean it will turn on, only the cd drive opens, and it won't like fully power up.

The thing that is keeping me from ordering a new one though is.. if the power supply is fried, could any other parts be fried? Mainly the video card because it won't give any signal. However that could be from the lack of power from the power supply because it is fried. Also, the HD. I cannot confirm that the HD is broken though because I have no computer to test it on.

• Moderators

The power supply could be fried or the mother board could be bad as well.

I don't think the motherboard being bad would have anything to do with whether or not the cd drive would open.

Best case scenario though is that you just have to replace the power supply.(since they are relatively cheap)

There very well could be other things wrong depending on what happened..(if it got hit by lighting there is no telling what could have been messed up)

Well I checked and I can honestly say that I am not aware if the HD is working or not. I don't want to say it's not working, and I don't want to confirm that it is. The only reason leading me to believe it is fine, is the fact that everything else is working.

Most likely that's what happened; if it's low quality, then maybe it got screwed up with an on/off surge. Just make sure you buy a high quality one, such as Antec, and have the computer connected to a surge protector.

AJ